General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOP NYC exhaust ban

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 PM
pontiac80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear a lot of people bitching how many of you took the 3mins to send this jackass a letter.

I don't live in NY but anytime states or cities try to take away are rights it's a bad thing. this all start with the bull**** in DENVER. Make your voices heard.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
You can read the stamping requirements here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...5.17.8&idno=40

Note that it does not say the stamp must be easily located or where it actually has to be on the pipes.
(c) The label or mark shall be in a readily visible position when the exhaust system or exhaust system component is installed on all motorcycles for which it is designed and marketed.

I hate to come off as a supporter of this but we have brought some of this on our selves. Just yesterday I saw a guy on a Harley fairly early in the morning. I did not see his exhaust but I would guess he was running drag pipes.

This was in a residential/retail area and as he waited for the car ahead to get moving he was wicking his throttle. Once the car made it through our dumb *** roundabout, he was on it and on it hard. To me, sounded nice but to all the people sleeping in or having a nice breakfast (insert your own favorite Saturday morning past time here) he was just some jerk disturbing the peace.

I can only imagine how that would sound in down town NYC. It would resonate of the tall building and be deafening (would love to hear it though). This is just another case of the few ruining it for the many.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:58 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I'll invent an EPA stamp sticker that will easily hide in a place on the muffler that someone has to use a mirror to see it. And make it so it looks like it's stamped into the steel muffler. Kind of like those fake bullet hole stickers. The ones that look real until you really inspect them closely.

EDIT: Damn, I just gave away my million dollar idea!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:59 PM
FPFD480
Advanced

As a Long Islander who has to ride THROUGH the City to get off the island! ... This is ridiculous! Yet another example of government trying to stop a nuisance habit (namely the drag racing of ricers in Astoria Park, which is part of Mr. Vallone's district) by implementing an impossible law to enforce ... C'mon City riders .. get on the case!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Jontall
Cruiser

Looks like a lot of people in New York will be drilling-out the OE exhaust.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't bother me. In fact, I wish the Feds would start enforcing this federal law on federal property like our National Parks and The Blue Ridge Parkway. It would sure make for much quieter vacations.
Nothing worse than being on vacation camping in a National Park and being jolted from your sleeping bag by some moron with straight pipes at 6 o'clock in the morning.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
FPFD480
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcrider1
It doesn't bother me. In fact, I wish the Feds would start enforcing this federal law on federal property like our National Parks and The Blue Ridge Parkway. It would sure make for much quieter vacations.
Nothing worse than being on vacation camping in a National Park and being jolted from your sleeping bag by some moron with straight pipes at 6 o'clock in the morning.
I do not disagree with the noise part ... it's the VISIBLE part ... until they make it so that is easy to identify (i.e. on your registration sticker) the law is virtually unenforceable in the street. This is a well-intentioned law with very poor execution and needs to be realistic to really work, or else too many of us are going to get harassed for no good reason!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM
cerk4
Cruiser

U all have to understand that crime is sooooo low in NYC that the police are getting fat sitting around eating junk food so they had to make up this law to get the police some exersize...... what a bunch of idiotic political driven morons we have in office

Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM
IzZy63
Road Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my part, I called them about 3 weeks ago and of course no one speaks to you must leave a message your name and number and someone will get back to you.I'm still waiting for the call.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just beautiful, let's group this with the moronic legislation in effect here in Florida with the vertical tag penalties.

Quick Reply: STOP NYC exhaust ban