General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STOP NYC exhaust ban

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:50 PM
pontiac80
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOP NYC exhaust ban

EMAIL this jack *** they want all bikes to have a EPA sticker and want to tow all bikes away if you don't have it even if the bike isn't running and is parked.

http://www.petervallone.com/index.ph...-peter-vallone

http://bytebrothers.net/images/Int41...0812291345.pdf

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

"and shall also mean exhaust pipes on a motorcycle that is equipped with an exhaust
muffler bearing"

You also need to have a muffler bearing?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You folks in new York better get a handle on this idiot before things get way out of control. What I want to know is how they can enforce the law on bikes from another state that don't require the sticker in the first place. I know, they're the government and they can do what they want right???

Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"No person shall stop, stand or park a motorcycle equipped with a straight pipe
on a street in the city of New York."

Well if it passes you have the legal right to run red lights and stop signs as the law strictly prohibits stopping a motorcycle with straight pipes. Funny thing about this is I didn't see anything that says you can't operate one on the streets of New York, granted I just skimmed it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:03 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
You folks in new York better get a handle on this idiot before things get way out of control. What I want to know is how they can enforce the law on bikes from another state that don't require the sticker in the first place. I know, they're the government and they can do what they want right???
The "sticker" refered to here, is the Federal EPA stamp required on all street legal motorcycle exhaust systems. Simply not having the EPA stamp is a Federal offense and any State, County, City, etc. is free to chose to enforce the federal law if they desire to do so, for any reason.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
The "sticker" refered to here, is the Federal EPA stamp required on all street legal motorcycle exhaust systems. Simply not having the EPA stamp is a Federal offense and any State, County, City, etc. is free to chose to enforce the federal law if they desire to do so, for any reason.
Check this out Charley,

There is a letter out from the EPA dated 7/25/2006. The letter is CISD-06-15 (MC). This is geared to builders of custom bikes where the builder builds 300 units or less. These bikes like Big Bear choppers, Big dog choppers meet all 2007 EPA rules. They have a stamp on the frame that states that they meet all EPA federal laws. I have a friend that built a 2007 EPA compliant chopper. The bike came with a Suppertrapp exhaust that is EPA compliant. The exhaust has no EPA stamp or marker plate. Big Dog chopper's have Vance & Hines Q series exhaust that is EPA compliant, no EPA stamp or marker plate. The bikes I am talking about meet all federal EPA rules, but you can't ride or have them on the road in certain places that have gone way beyond reasonable.

The fact is, there are aftermarket pipes that meet or exceed EPA emission requirements yet they do not have the stamp. The stamp has no relative bearing on the smog or sound emissions that may or may not exist at the time of testing. Therefore, having the stamp is irrelevant as it has little to do with whether or not the pipes actually meet the requirements either state or federal at the time and place the citation may be written. Moreover, if the pipes do have the stamp and because they are old actually exceed the legal sound limits, the law is so broad that bikes owner wouldn't be issued a ticket because the pipe hasn't been tampered with and does have the sticker. Like I said, the government can do anything they want until the people get so tired of it they fight back.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Same problem as the idiots who wrote the assault weapons ban. Laws written by morons who know absolutely nothing about the thing they're writing about so filled with nonsense and contradictions that a 5 yr old could point out.

They need to have a court make a decision to clear this up. SOUND and emissions should be the only marker, not brand, stamp or no stamp, factory or not, etc. Those who live in NY are insane to put up with all the BS laws from all i've heard. As bad as Calif is it's not even close to the absurdity of NY and some of those communist NE states. Calif is hard-core conservative compared to the eastern states.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer

Welcome to Californias problems.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Arizona
Same problem as the idiots who wrote the assault weapons ban. Laws written by morons who know absolutely nothing about the thing they're writing about so filled with nonsense and contradictions that a 5 yr old could point out.

They need to have a court make a decision to clear this up. SOUND and emissions should be the only marker, not brand, stamp or no stamp, factory or not, etc. Those who live in NY are insane to put up with all the BS laws from all i've heard. As bad as Calif is it's not even close to the absurdity of NY and some of those communist NE states. Calif is hard-core conservative compared to the eastern states.
I would agree that southern California is conservative but this is where it ends because the north is so far left it's half way to Hawaii..

Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master
Default What Year

Originally Posted by cHarley
What year did the EPA start stamping Motorcycle Pipes? How Can it be a Federal Offense when the EPA only started stamping motor cycle pipes in the last couple of years...? The only stamped pipes I have seen on stock HD's have CATs in them...?

Quick Reply: STOP NYC exhaust ban