General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having a Harley Gets you Noticed

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having a Harley Gets you Noticed

Last Friday night the wife and I headed out for one of the local bike nights. While crossing the 3 mile bridge on I-10 heading out of Pensacola the bike shuts down. I am blowing fuses and not sure why the bike is in the shop getting checked out. We pull over the breakdown lane on the bridge and immediately call the friends we are going to meet for some assistance. Within about 5 minutes of waiting a guy in a pick-up stops up ahead of us and backs up to see if we need some help. He offers to take us to the service station up the road or call for some help if we need it. I thank him for stopping and told him I already have someone on the way. He then tells me that the only reason he stopped was because I was on a Harley. I laughed and thanked him again before he left. Life on a Harley can be a beautiful thing even when things aren't going exactly as planned

Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear of your bike trouble, let us know what they find out. Glad to hear you had help on the way. Rock on....

Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Did you recently change grips or handlebars? Might explain maybe a pinched wire blowing fuses.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I live in Kentucky things are pretty rural and it's a haven for riders simply because of the elevation changes and twisties. If I see a bike on the side of the road regardless of what make or model it is I stop. Interestingly, If I pull over just to take a break and a cager happens by you can pretty much bank on the fact that cager will check to see that I am ok. All my neighbors, if you can call them that because their houses are fields away, own motorcycles too. I guess it's just the way we do things around here and there are more than a few times we have had to use our trailers to load one up for one reason or another. Either way, if a rider is in this neck of the wooods you can bank on the fact we'll take good care of them.....

Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
Where I live in Kentucky things are pretty rural and it's a haven for riders simply because of the elevation changes and twisties. If I see a bike on the side of the road regardless of what make or model it is I stop. Interestingly, If I pull over just to take a break and a cager happens by you can pretty much bank on the fact that cager will check to see that I am ok. All my neighbors, if you can call them that because their houses are fields away, own motorcycles too. I guess it's just the way we do things around here and there are more than a few times we have had to use our trailers to load one up for one reason or another. Either way, if a rider is in this neck of the wooods you can bank on the fact we'll take good care of them.....
Is banjo music in the background?????? J/K LOL

Old 03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It used to be that way everywhere! This country, she is a changing.... Kind of old school stopping to help, but I always do, and it doesn't matter to me what you're riding. I've ridden most of the brands myself at one time or another....

Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about your night being cut short. It's a MAJOR hassle to have something go wrong, and it'll be interesting to hear what you find out about it.
In the meantime, ain't it great that people like folks on Harleys?
I think it's just part of the Harley culture and heritage that spills over into the "non-riding" sector! They can't help but be attracted to the bike. In this case, you lucked out (were blessed) by an ex-owner! So much the better!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a similar experience. The day before Thanksgiving last year I got stuck in the afternoon traffic on I-5. After spending almost 3 hours in stop and go traffic I pulled off at an overpass to give my a$$ a rest. As I was standing there next to the bike for only about 15 minutes, I had 2 cages stop and ask me if I needed help. That would have never happened if I was in my cage.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:19 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Did you recently change grips or handlebars? Might explain maybe a pinched wire blowing fuses.
Actually I recently changed the seat. Inspected the area but nothing obvious. I'm having the mechanic start there just in case I pinched or crimped a wire with the seat.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The reason I asked we went on an 8 state ride and my buddy had the same problem but it was blowing out his lights. The dealer we made it to wouldnt give him a quote without tearing into the bike, in front of the service writer I asked if he had anything apart and when he said he had new grips put on, I told the writer 99% probability its in the left switch housing. That was it and my buddy got out with a $30 bill in less than 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Having a Harley Gets you Noticed