General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a bike for my son

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Joker441
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of a bike for my son

I have been looking at the 2009 kicker 5150 mini bobber in the 200cc model for my son. They are really cool looking ol bobbers. I was wondering if anyone has ever rode one or know anything about them? From what I can tell from the web site they run about 80 mph with the 200cc motor. He is really into the ol school stuff and we show a 1974 90cc Kaw now that I turned into a hardtail about 20 years ago but he wants something bigger that he can ride also. Any thoughts or ideas? Just looking for some imput.

Thanks
Joker

Old 03-26-2009, 06:53 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool lookin.

How old is your son? My son had good grades, and for his 16th, he got an 883L.
My son likes that, wish we would have gotten one of those instead. Only thing we've ever seen are those poscket choppers (50cc) which are really small.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Joker441
Road Captain

He will be 16 in Sept. and the same here, he usually is on the A-B honor roll and is a really good kid. These come in a kit and it is something that we cound build together. Maybe this will get him out of the house and into the shop with the ol man. I thought about an ol sporty but they are still kinda big for him ( hell he is as big as me and out weights me by 5 pounds) but he has never really rode so he needs something alittle smaller to start on. I read that ya can make the street legal and we only live about 5 miles from school so maybe he could ride it to school, how friggin cool would that be.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it's a great idea. Like you said, it's something you could do together.
He is interested in bikes, right?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is very nice

Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM
comaman2
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my kid plays 3 sports,gets good grades and rides a 06 bobber since he was 16, i traded my 97 sporty that he has been riden since he was 12,I guess what iam trying to say is that i would not get anything smaller than a 1200 cause they are going to want to go trippen with you so get them something that they can ride hard.him and i have been on some great trips together and i never have regreted spending a little more doe on a bike that will keep up with every body.(ride hard or stay home)

Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
cbigbie191
Road Master

Thats a cool looking bike, but I think he will out grow it pretty fast.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
JLuns
Cruiser

I think you should go for it. I would have loved to be able to do something like that with my father. I think its a great size for a 16 yr old. I know that if you gave me a 1200 when I was 16 I would have dogged the hell out of it, showed off for my buddies when dad wasnt around and prob killed myself. He might out grow it physically, but not mentally.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Joker441
Road Captain

My son was hurt by a babysitter when he was 2 1/2 and he has came a very long way over the years. I am selling my dad's vintage 1959 Gibson Melody Maker guitar to help with the funds on this. The main thing is that he remembers doing things with the ol man so when he is old like me he has those memories. Ya he will out grow it but by then he might have a little experence. Nothing comes before my son and Im willing to do what I have to, to make memories for him.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker441
My son was hurt by a babysitter when he was 2 1/2 and he has came a very long way over the years. I am selling my dad's vintage 1959 Gibson Melody Maker guitar to help with the funds on this. The main thing is that he remembers doing things with the ol man so when he is old like me he has those memories. Ya he will out grow it but by then he might have a little experence. Nothing comes before my son and Im willing to do what I have to, to make memories for him.

sure, he will outgrow it soon. but as a younger guy (mid-20's), I can tell you that if I had built a bike like that with my dad, it wouldnt matter that I had upgraded to a Dyna or Softail by now, I would still have that chopper in the garage and would still use it around town.

It is as much about the experience and memories as it is about the bike, there is no way you can go wrong with that bike.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a bike for my son