General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Beach, FL: Bikeweek/Biketoberfest, "Stale" & "Played Out"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to Biketoberfest, spent three days -had a great time. Avoided Bruce's HD (rest his soul), but bought a bunch at J & P - 10& discount and free shipping -harldly gouging. Met some nice folks. Will be at bike week Mon-Wed to avoid the really big crowds.

To each is own

Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I look forward to it each year. Living in west Volusia for 20 yrs now, I can swing by see the crowd, then head back west to avoid it.

DeLand Bike Rally is a really fun one day event. It kicks off BW and this year it's 2/27.

http://www.delandbikerally.com/

Leesburg is fun and getting more and more crowded each year.

http://leesburgbikefest.com/Bikefest/index.htm

So once I'm done with the crowds, I'd rather hit some of my favorite roads and fun places to eat that my father in law introduced me to. He's been riding in central FL since the early 70's.

I'll name a few that have a few more curves (most are west of DeLand)...

42 from DeLand to Weirsdale

450 from Umatilla to 42

46 from Sanford to Mt Dora, but take 435 south of Mt Plymouth for the first handful of miles

437 near Apopka.

561, 561A and 455 are really fun and you can hit Sugarloaf Mtn.

There are others out there that you can find, but I just listed a few fun rides that might not be straight as an arrow (I know they are not anything close to the TOTD).

Ride safe and have fun what ever you are into.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 55Bubba
I have not been but have it on my bucket list along with Sturgis. WE rode to key West last thanksgiving and had a ball. I can see the point of those who say there are the same vendors becuase they are buit every event I've been to is different because of the people we meet. Now actually, Florida is not high on the list of places for exciting roads. As someone said, the dragon is 318 curves in 11 miles, Florida is 11 curves in 318 miles. Not cracking on anybody , that's jsut the way it is. I want to do main st. one day and the cabbage patch and then chill. When I go to Sturgis, I plan to be there the first part of the week and then spend time riding the roads.

Again for me, it's the people that make the rally not the vendors.

Bub
Too funny!.. but true.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

What do you expect from an event that plays out the same way every year? All bike events are like that, whether it's a rally or an annual bike show at your local convention center. After a couple of times you've pretty much seen it and experienced it. Only thing that changes is the new models of the bikes and the weather. Bike rallys are just an excuse to get together with friends who share a common interest and party for a week. Like going to the Superbowl....it's a big party...and oh yeah, there's a football game going on too, but the game almost takes a back seat to the week long party that preceeds it. For many riders Daytona Bike Week is a turn around point more than it is a destination. It's a good excuse to leave the work-a-day world we live in, burn up some vacation time, get on the bike, log some miles, and clear the cobwebs.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These events have been going on for years. As with any event, things change over time. As these events change, for the better in some cases, worse in others, peoples attitude and enthusiasm changes as well. It is both human and economic nature.

A first timer will be amazed as they take in all of the activities available...yes the same activities that regulars have been attending for years. The difference is in their enthusiasm in being somewhere they have always wanted to be and have spent a significant amount of coin to partake in the festivities. It is new to them.

The success of the event on a personal level is in direct proportion to the amount of enthisuasm and what effort an individual puts into it or what the individuals agenda is. Is the agenda to drink mass quantities, sit in traffic, see some tiddies, people watch etc? Or are your plans to do some riding, see some other than Mainstreet happenings, and get off the beaten path and watch a little cole slaw wrestling. Either is available.
In 2007, I spent 4 days doing as much as I could..(again) where as last year, I rode down for the day, never made into Mainstreet and hung out in Ormond. This was my plan.
This year I may camp out in the infield and hang on Mainstreet. Who knows. I have a good time no matter what I do and all the time knowing that if I wait 10 more days, the gas price drops again, the beers are cheaper and the crowds are much thinner.

Having lived in Florida for the past 25 years, I have always made it a point to attend these events. Do I know that the same ole stuff is going to be going on? Yes. Am I aware that as with most events the ultimate goal for not only for the the city but also for the vendors and local businesses is to make money? Of course. Am I aware that the "intent" in which the festival was originally started with is different as well? Sure.

I dont feel that the event has become stale. The conditions surrounding the event are a bi-product of longevity. As the event grew, so did the need to expand the event geography and civil aspects of the event.
Over the years, the locals have been complaining. Have the population and demographics not changed as well?

I think that the event has been going through a transition phase and will continue to transition over the next several years. The attainabiity of a win-win for the city, local population, and for the event participants will only be seen in time.
As for the event being stale... it is ones opinion. Be it a biker Ralley or any other activity, football game, parade, chilli cook-off etc. your willingness to be there will have a direct result of amount of fun one has.
Regardless of what activity, scenery or debauchery you decide to partake in, have fun doing it. Only you will know if this or any other event is played out. The answer will be within ya!
Regardless of what you do..do it safe, have fun doing it and I hope to see ya in Daytona!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
zimman20
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of friends of mine and I have been going to Daytona BW for a few years now. We've also previously attended Myrtle Beach but since they've declared war on bikers - we stay away.

My buddies come from the Northeast (NY, NJ) and and I come from NC. They meet me in NC and we ride down if the weather cooperates - trailer down if it doesn't. Last year there was snow on the ground in Charlotte and we didn't want to ride - we trailered - and we apologize to no one for it.

Whether or not the event has become 'stale' to some - as others have said, it is what you make of it, and if it's just to have a good time with some old buddies or make some new friends - four or five days getting away from the grind, or worse weather in the case of the Northeast boys - we're having a good time, eating in restaurants at night, chewing the fat and having some beers - it's all good. Yes, a lot of it is the same year over year, but there's a certain comfort in that familiarity and again, the bottom line - we're having a good time, hanging out together, we only get to do it once or twice a year and it's something to look forward to.

Those that don't like it can simply choose not to go, right? Bella America! What a Country!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 AM
trojan
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still live here and Bikeweek is a great time to meet a lot of great people. I really don't have any negative things to add. It's always only what you make it!

regards