General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State Of New And Used HD Bike Market?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:25 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The local dealer still sells 10% or so *above* MSRP, and they still sell bikes.

Their used bike prices also seem high, but not quite as high as what private sellers want.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
DPFhd883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on the area. I bet that they are down slightly anywhere you go but my area of SW PA is actually fairly stable. I sell cars and while sales are down slightly, profitability is fine because of production cuts so nobody is overun with inventory. From what I have heard form my dealer, HD seems to be running down the same path.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking at two dealers. Both only want $1k more for a new bike over a used one. One dealer told me well that bike has a lot of options that cost money to install. I thought people actually pay you to install foot pegs and brake pedals? Dealer in Annapolis told me with good credit I could get 9.9%. He aloo would not sell me a used bike without paying an additional $1125 for a one year extended warranty. I thought do I have turnip dust on me from where I just fell of the turnip truck? This dealer sold 3 bikes in the hour I was looking. The dealer in Frederick, MD said I could get 6.75% on a new bike.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:50 AM
snakyjake
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I think the economy has had a significant impact on the used bike market. People are still willing to buy, but the price has to be a steal. If you have a clean bike with low miles, etc. there is that one individual that will pay a fair price for your bike. It just may take a little time. I sold my softail on e-bay after running it a second time. The first time I had 13 lookers and a couple cheesy bids. The second time I had just as many lookers and sold it for my "buy it now" price to a guy who had just found it. It was exactly what he was looking for. So don't give up.
That's exactly what the dealers think too. There are still lots of people out there, with lots of money, access to credit, don't mind paying high interest rates for a loan, and don't mind paying twice the price of a good truck for a motorcycle they only ride a few months a year.

I also know people who are unemployed still buying $43K cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

...Not everyone is in the "Recession".

Jake