General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...

I was just wondering after thinking about this volitile subject since reading about it on here a couple of years ago...if the weight of a helmet increases your risk of neck injury in a crash to any significant degree, Why do all motorcycle racing sanctioning bodies require the use of a helmet. I have also noticed that from the X games to moto GP they all experience significant crashes regularly and no one "breaks" their neck except on very rare occasions. I mean I have seen crashes so violent that the riders are knocked unconscious an yet as soon as they regain their wits they jump up and run off the track. Obviously no broken neck if that is possible. Now I would be the last one to try to convince anyone to wear a helmet that does not want to, But using this argument to justify not wearing one seems a little bit of a stretch.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, though you are treading in some nasty waters right now as I am sure the flaming will begin soon. folks around here don't like helmet threads.

but for what it's worth, I agree with you. I think the majority of times when a helmeted rider is killed in a crash, it's due to internal injuries.

rob

Old 04-19-2009, 07:15 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's a huge reach because there are no studies to support the argument. It's a pretty dumb reason not to wear a helmet. The best reason is the old I don't want to and that works for me and the law in this state.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I am for Freedom of Choice that simple.. Nothing for me to debate or argue over..

Old 04-19-2009, 07:30 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I am for Freedom of Choice that simple.. Nothing for me to debate or argue over..
yup...there ya have it. Even in SC I wear a helmut, just a half one, not to heavy (to break my neck?), but just knowing it's there. Will it work??....who knows, it's a crap shoot anyway. Now if I stay in a state that you don't have to have one, then I wont, but going through one then another, I guess I'm to lazy to stop and take it off. Anyway, where the hell am I going to put the damn thing?? All my other space is taken up by......stuff.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a huge stretch--a real Texas sized tale. The studies of actual crashes--MAIDS, HURT, others) all point to helmets reducing the incidence of neck injury.

An interesting comment--AMA requires helmets in their events--but takes a "pro-choice" stance on the public roads. Maybe because they don't have to pay the bill in that case?

Old 04-19-2009, 08:04 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
It is a huge stretch--a real Texas sized tale. The studies of actual crashes--MAIDS, HURT, others) all point to helmets reducing the incidence of neck injury.

An interesting comment--AMA requires helmets in their events--but takes a "pro-choice" stance on the public roads. Maybe because they don't have to pay the bill in that case?
More likely a case of insurance requirements vs. support of personal freedom.

Since head injuries are the #1 cause of death and serious injury in automobile crashes, I say what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Poorguy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
I agree with this 100%.

Thing is, why do we have to wear seatbelts?! That should also be a choice. Back in High School, we went on a ski trip. On our way there a Bronco slid on a turn and hit our bus head on. Had the driver of the Bronco been wearing his seat belt, he'd be dead today as the steering column got rammed straight back into the driver seat but the driver was thrown across to the passengers side, LIVING.

Odds are that seat belts save lives but it's still my choice.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh, the "helmets break your neck" argument again....

1. Show me those *data*.

2. That's like saying "I disconnect the airbag in my car because it will break my nose in an accident." The risk of whatever injury they *may* cause is offset, in the minds of many, by those that they prevent.

3. Folks should be able to choose what level of protection they want, but no one should justify their decision with tall tales.

(dirt bike riders/racers and some sportbike racers wear neck braces, and you can buy one for yourself--google it)

Old 04-19-2009, 08:27 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There's always that rare case where a helmet, seatbelt, or other safety device has caused rather than prevented serious injury or death.

Which raises the question. If the government forces a person to use the safety equipment and one of these rare events happen, should they be held liable for damages?

Just throwing the question out there. I've been on both sides of the argument over the years. My libertarian side says it should be an individual's choice. My conservative side says the government needs to "parent" those who don't know better.

Jim

Quick Reply: Helmet breaking your neck in a crash...