General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Price Rises in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry H-D Price Rises in the UK

I was thinking of buying a new Road King so I went long to my dealer on Saturday.

He told me that from 1st May H-D are increasing the price in the UK by around 15%.

He said that even if I place my order now I would still have to pay the increased price as it wouldn't be delivered until after 1st May.

I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Are they mad, don't they realise that we're in the middle of the deepest recession for decades. I tried to order some spares from Guernsey H-D last week only to find they've gone bancrupt. It seems like the MoCo would rather lay off its workforce and allow the dealers to go broke than make their already overpriced bikes more affordable.

I took a look at the new 1900cc Yamaha Midnight Star Yesterday.

I'd prefer a Road King but the Yamaha is a fine machine and it's better equipped. Best of all it's more than £6,500 (about $9,000) cheaper.

If H-D don't want to retain my custom then so be it. There are lots of bike manufacturers out there who do.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy riding alone on your Yamaha.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, are you sure it's Harley Davidson in Wisconsin USA raising 15%. Might it not have more to do with overseas trade?

Not sure about your country for sure. But as an example I know Harley pays a high tax to ship to Japan. On the reverse Japan can ship a Honda for a whole lot less to the states.

The very false term for this is the Fair Trade Agreement. It is far from fair!!

I do understand your frustration though.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 7,794 Likes on 4,121 Posts

The Yammer you're looking at might do you good. Assuming the dealer network there in SW England is OK. Wish I'd had a bike there a few years ago while spending some time in Penzance. I think HD may be anticipating some changes coming in the foreign exchange rate... 15% is a bit steep without a damn good reason.

Ride safe whatever you end up with!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Sled
Ride safe whatever you end up with!
+1 here.

Been talking to a friend about getting a bike and talking Harley. This has been going on a couple of years now. He is finally getting closer and said they were looking at used Gold Wings. He's a friend, so I don't care what he rides.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM
bigaluk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was at my local dealer a couple of weeks ago, the head sales guy who i've bought three bikes off now told me that the prices are going up by 10%, if you order before the date you can pay the old price. the dealership will cover 5% and hd uk will cover the other 5%. he knows that i'm not in the market for another bike at the moment (divorce is expensive) but he's telling all old and new customers the same thing. shame you wer'nt told the same.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm thinking Harley is raising the msrp in anticipation of customers coming in to beat then down in price. So they drop the new price 15%, you think your making a great deal but your paying what they would normally sell it for.I was at a dealer a few weeks ago in PA, and they literally had bikes wall to wall. New and used and their prices were crazy . You know there was alot of wiggle room built into them.,,

Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Steve, are you sure it's Harley Davidson in Wisconsin USA raising 15%.
Yes the price rise has come from H-D. They've anounced a price for all of their bikes over here. The average rise is about 10%. The tourers are increasing by the most.

The dealers are not happy because they're already selling far fewer bikes than a year ago.

The Road King is a good bike but it's definately not worth £16,000 ($23,000) which was the price the dealer is now quoting for the basic machine.

I'm only looking at the Yamaha at the moment and I guess a lot of people will be doing the same. I might decide to keep what I've got. I definately won't be buying a new H-D at a rip-off price.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally understand your situation, prices have gone up about 20% since last Nov/08 in Canada due to exchange rate between U.S. & Can $,,that included parts, options,plus our 13% tax..so increase closer to 23%.that's why I canceled my 2009 and bought a used 2008.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve,

From what I understand many businesses in the states are down by at least a 1/3, Harley included. It's just not a Harley thing.

We have also had many dealers close the doors a cross the states.

Riding has always been about personal choice and what works for you.

The economy will suffer most of the year. Hopefully a better turn around in 2010.

With many folks losing there jobs. Consider yourself lucky in being able to buy a new bike of any name brand.

Good Luck!!

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
Yes the price rise has come from H-D. They've anounced a price for all of their bikes over here. The average rise is about 10%. The tourers are increasing by the most.

The dealers are not happy because they're already selling far fewer bikes than a year ago.

The Road King is a good bike but it's definately not worth £16,000 ($23,000) which was the price the dealer is now quoting for the basic machine.

I'm only looking at the Yamaha at the moment and I guess a lot of people will be doing the same. I might decide to keep what I've got. I definately won't be buying a new H-D at a rip-off price.

Quick Reply: H-D Price Rises in the UK