General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forgive the intrusion, but I really need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Bat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forgive the intrusion, but I really need help

I posted in the tech; fuel section, but I am running out of time (and my hands hurt and I'm tired, and I'm not even close to ready for my trip, blah, blah, blah). I was just hopping that one of the many people on the general chat tonight might have a solution/suggestion for me. See below and thanks.

Originally Posted by Bat
Just washed the bike for my trip to TX tomorrow. I saw that, what I think is my fuel gauge wires hanging low. I can see the black casing going into the tank, but also the multi-colored wires and the plastic junction/connect box (excuse my ignorance on what things are called). This is only the 2nd time I have washed it (yea, yea, sorry) and the first time I noticed this. The casing wire is just a hair above the engine/head, and I worry that it is too hot. Is there supposed to be a clip and/or clamp for this wire? 2008 Fat Bob. Any help is appreciated.

Additional info. the wire appears to be tucked under the tank running towards the seat, then curves back toward the front, and then makes a "U" curve to the tank. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by rbabos
There is a plastic clip section up between the tank and frame that you can push the looped wire into to retain it.. There is also a mickey mouse stick on metal clip close to the tube the wires come out of the tank. I had to replace the tape to a better grade than the factory used on this one. It gets wet and the paper in the two faced tape seperates letting the wire hang.
Ron

Originally Posted by Bat
OK I found the clip. I can not come-up with a way to get the wire(s) through it. It can only advance toward the seat (from the front of the tank) so much; and the play I have in the wire appears to be enough to just make it through, but I can not loop it through the clip. Maybe a duhhh on my part, but I haven't figured out how to yet. I have disconnected the plastic coupling, but still can't get it. Any help would be appreciated, this is killing my preparation for my trip tomorrow, it sucks.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like one of those: "If I hold my hand just right and keep my head turned just so it might slip back into place." You might want to leave it alone for awhile, pack your bags, do some of the other stuff that needs doing and come back to it later. Just a thought.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:55 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Tie it up with a zip tie or wire away from the head and worry about it later. Don't let worrying about it spoil your trip.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:08 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My fuel gauge wires are not in any clip or anything. Never have had a problem. There have been times I noticed the wires and thought Hmmmmm...But I never have done anything with it. Still running strong 36K later.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 AM
Bat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took a break, had a snack, zip tied the wires to the clip. I'll take few ties and some electrical tape and enjoy my ride. Thanks guys.