General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you a lone wolf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you a lone wolf?

I get my greatest pleasure out of riding all by my lonesome. I set my own pace, stop when I feel like stopping.....Go when I feel like going.

I feel like I must be anti-social every time I see a pack of bikes out on the road. To me riding a motorcycle is a solo kinda deal. I know many people enjoy the companionship when riding with good friends.I just enjoy the solitude.

I plan to take two 3000+ mile tours this summer alone, And I'm okay with that. Time to unwind and enjoy the ride and scenery.

Am I really that unusual, or are there others like me?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Nuge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99 percent of the time i ride alone

Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuge
99 percent of the time i ride alone
Same here

Old 04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Me also. Ride occasionally with a good friend, not into group riding at all.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy a long ride more with a friend or two or five. Really enjoy the end of the day sitting around having a few brews and discussing the days ride. Sitting around a diner or motel by myself is not fun to me.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

A brilliant mind once said, "The lone wolf rides .. alone." Most of my riding is alone. I'm fine with it, and I like it. I do enjoy trips with others, but if I had to wait for someone to ride with me, I'd hardly ever get to go. A lot of my buddies that ride don't like long trips or whine too much for me.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like both.. most of my riding is alone but, I used to ride with a MC, I loved that to. Real adrenaline rush when the pack is getting all together ready to take off.

It's a more relaxed ride when your by yourself. When in a bigger group you gotta keep your S**t tight and together.

So for me I say both.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:33 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99.9% alone. I go where I want when I want. Only argument I have is with myself. lol

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not something I really set out to be, nor do I think it's a macho thing or whatever... just been a loner all my life. Don't get me wrong, I now enjoy interacting with people (or I wouldn't be at this forum)... but I am okay with being by myself.

As a kid... played by myself just fine, thank you.

As a young man I drove semi's nationwide by myself and was absolutely okay with it.

Dirt biking: Fully 90% or more of 100,000+ miles were solo miles. Me and the bike, which is my prefered way to enjoy nature.

Deuce riding: LOVE riding by myself. (Of course, the wife is always welcomed to go along). I HAVE ridden in some groups (and enjoyed the different experience it offers)... but I prefer to be on my own. That way I can spend as much time enjoying a waterfall as I want... or sat alone and savor a particular inspiring vista.

No others to mesh with... take it at my rate. (Fortunately, the wife understands this side of me and does seem to enjoy doing the same when she goes with me on the Deuce.)

In June I will be doing 2500 miles (a meandering trip from eastern OK to Tucson & return)... and LOVE the idea of being on my own. I enjoy solitude and my bikes. I also enjoy solitude and nature.

So, my nature is to enjoy people in reduced doses... but prefer to spend the vast majority of my personal time solo.

Just been that way all my life.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mplecha
A brilliant mind once said, "The lone wolf rides .. alone." Most of my riding is alone. I'm fine with it, and I like it. I do enjoy trips with others, but if I had to wait for someone to ride with me, I'd hardly ever get to go. A lot of my buddies that ride don't like long trips or whine too much for me.
That's it in a nutshell. Trying to get everybody on the same page is a nightmare. I don't know how many times I've planned a ride around one or more other people, only to have them fall out at the last minute.

I can pack my saddlebags and be on the road in less than an hour, and I may not even know where I'm going to end up. I just get on and go. It's not that I don't enjoy the company of good friend's, I just don't have the patience anymore.

Quick Reply: Are you a lone wolf?