General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, First harley and tranny troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
steve302
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, First harley and tranny troubles

Hello all,
This is my first post and I just got my first harley about 3 months ago. Its a 1987 FXR 32,000 miles. The thing has been going great for the last couple thousand miles.
The Problem: Just started this past weekend, It will not downshift from 5th to 4th over 45-50mph. If I slow down to around 40 everything works like normal I can shift up and down through all the gears. Anything over that I cant get out of fifth gear with out awful grinding. Has anybody experienced this? any ideal on the cause?

Shift forks? Clutch? I adjusted the clutch and it didnt help. I also thought maybe heat was an issue so I took it right on the highway first thing sunday morning and the problem is still there

Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by steve302
Hello all,
This is my first post and I just got my first harley about 3 months ago. Its a 1987 FXR 32,000 miles. The thing has been going great for the last couple thousand miles.
The Problem: Just started this past weekend, It will not downshift from 5th to 4th over 45-50mph. If I slow down to around 40 everything works like normal I can shift up and down through all the gears. Anything over that I cant get out of fifth gear with out awful grinding. Has anybody experienced this? any ideal on the cause?

Shift forks? Clutch? I adjusted the clutch and it didnt help. I also thought maybe heat was an issue so I took it right on the highway first thing sunday morning and the problem is still there
Seems to be a clutch issue to me. Have you tried to adjust it? Does it jump when you go from neutral to 1st?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's get old with little miles rust or dry rot. No check the oil it might be inner bear start to go bad. If it's bad the trans oil and primery oil will be mixing.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my old bike did the same thing right before the shifter paw spring broke had about the same miles have someone check it out because if it brakes going down the road it can take out the teeth on the gears,mine chipped the idler gear and took out the bearing at about 10 mph

Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How old is the gear oil and what type is in it? Change it to a good synthetic GEAR oil like Mobil 1 75w140 or Redline shockproof and see if it helps. It's a quick easy thing to do and doesn't cost a bunch of dollars. Next option if that fails is to find a good indy that can take a look at it.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:14 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a book and enjoy wrenching. You need a repair manual specific for that bike or a mechanic friend. Sounds like clutch adjustment to me but you need to know more about your bike then you are posting. Fluids? Last tranny oil change? Any relevant work preformed before you bought it? Etc, etc. Good bike but they require maintenance and patience.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:25 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

definitely NOT a clutch adjustment issue, that wouldn't be dependent on speed. if it's a speed related issue, you have to consider what is happening at speed. there is more centrifugal force being applied to the detent springs, synchros, gears, and shift forks. i'd be looking inside the trans for any worn parts/springs. it may just need an adjustment, or it may need some new parts. either way, it's time to open it up. thankfully it's a fairly simple transmission, so not too difficult to work with, and there are libraries worth of reading material available to guide you along.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 AM
steve302
Stage III
Default thanks!

wow thanks for all the replys.

The fluid in there was only about 400 miles old. I used some HD brand gear oil. Last night I changed it out with some mobil 1 synthetic 75-90. It did not help the problem, although the bike did shift smoother through the rest of the gears.

The oil I drained out was very black in color wich I found weird since it was only 400 miles old.

I talked to an indy and to save me some money if I pull out the cartridge from the tranny with all gears, cam, and shift forks. and he will take a look at them and let me know what he sees. Instead of having him get into it. I just cant be dropping a couple grand into this thing right now, so as much work as I can do myself the better.
His theory was the dogs have rounded on the gears and at high speed its not letting them ingage with each other.

The manual call for the clutch to be removed to slide the gears out the side door on the tranny. Does it have to come off? Also it referances HD specialty pullers. Are they needed or can I use a variation of a generic puller?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Good idea to check the foot shifter and shift rod/joints ,etc-.
Is the shift rod assy. binding?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM
steve302
Stage III

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Good idea to check the foot shifter and shift rod/joints ,etc-.
Is the shift rod assy. binding?
No , it smooth as silk any where except above 45 or 50mph. I check the shifter assembly there is no binding or tightness at all

Quick Reply: Please Help, First harley and tranny troubles