General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wescoot2
Friend of mine has always said........the more weapons he carries, the more trouble he gets into......

Respects,
Ed

Are the weapons ganging up on him? News flash: That's your friends fault...not the weapons.

Last edited by rdam; 04-30-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoglaw
<snip>
Finally, learn this: "He attacked me, officer, and I was forced to defend myself. Now I'd like to talk to my lawyer." Then shut up.
+1, ....and then KEEP your mouth closed until your lawyer gets there.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tlb
do what is legal...<snip>

As a side point, I disagree with the analogy of sheep or sheep dog. I could shoot someone, I just have a moral code that says I would rather not kill someone. It does not make me some sort of coward or someone that has to carry a pistol to feel like a man. I am not saying everyone who carries a pistol is a coward, just I am not a coward because I do not.
I agree that carrying a pistol doesn't make you a man, any more than going to McDonald's makes you a cheeseburger.

HOWEVER, I guarantee you that I would feel like a complete and total loser if I allowed myself or my family to come to harm because I had no means to defend myself or them in case of an attack.

I respect your decision not to shoot another human being, as long as you can respect my decision to carry concealed, take the necessary training needed to be proficient with my weapon of choice and the mindset to use that weapon if needed.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
Before you run out and buy that handgun take a hard look in the mirror and make sure you are willing to take another human life, it is a decision you will have to live with for the rest of your life. I was taught at a very early age that you don't carry unless you know how to use it, and you don't take it out of the holster unless you are ready to pull the trigger. There have been a lot of people over the years who have had their knife or gun taken away and used against them, just make sure you are not going to be one of them.

Like several others I have spent a lot of years traveling this country on the bike. I have been everywhere north of the Mason-Dixon or west of the Great Divide and only once did I have a problem. That was in Texas in the 70s and I am glad I didn't have a gun as I would no doubt have used it and lived to regret it. Instead I got knocked around a bit and learned that a guy riding a bike should not camp out at a truck stop.

Bottom line, carry if you feel the need and you are willing to use it and can live with the consequences. Or you can just stay out of dicey situations and enjoy the trip.
Yeah good point, cause all those people in that McDs who put themselves in a dicey situation shoulda thought about it more, so fk em.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ckgdrums
I respect your decision not to shoot another human being, as long as you can respect my decision to carry concealed, take the necessary training needed to be proficient with my weapon of choice and the mindset to use that weapon if needed.
I think the key word here is mindset. If they had testing or other requirements to allow purchasing guns then I wouldn't care but most people want anybody to be able to walk into any gun show and walk out with one.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior

Well thing is, there's this other thing out there called the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution....

Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Danowert
Road Captain

Originally Posted by softail04
same thought here I have been riding all over the country for 50+ years and never been in a spot that required me to be armed. maybe I have been doing it all wrong all these years ..
Agreed........

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I took nearly the same trip last year. I only had to fight off six or seven thugs and only had to shoot three.
I ride ~20k a year (mostly solo) and have never even gotten in a fistfight. Carry if it makes you feel better, but I myself have never felt the need to.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior

Fine, but at the very least, show some appreciation for all the other law abiding citizens who take that heavy responsibility upon themselves for you.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is good that you are thinking ahead, recently in the media I have seen reports of numerous "bikers" being targeted for death by what can only be called--at this time- anti-bikers, the death tole along Route 66 is staggering, I am amazed the National Guard or the Special Forces have not been called out to protect the route. You take your life in your hands, I do not think a hand gun will be enough, perhaps if you mounted some type of automatic long gun to the front of your bike you will be able to fend off the attackers---may the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Route 66 sole trip in May! Should I have a Concealed Weapon ??!!