General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SB435, CA Motorcycle Smog Law

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SB435, CA Motorcycle Smog Law

All this BS about stock parts being on to pass smog. Let me ask this, what if the bike is mapped and you use the TTS, SERT, SEST, of which these show no visible sign of ECM changing. You put the OEM pipes and AC on, how do you think this will effect the Map and outcome of the smog test?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked up the bill and if it passes as is and your bike is more than 4 years old it should be exempt. In another section it calles for bikes manufactured after 2000 so who the heck knows? This freakin state is so commie I can't take it anymore and can't wait to get out of here...once the economy gets stronger, Texas here I come...well I will have to check with the Mrs 1st but really like Texas...is there a state named "anywhere not california?"

Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Regis
Cruiser

We are soooo screwed if they pass this in California. The only legal thing you'd be able to modify would be a mc that is less than 250 cc or 1976 or older. Meaning we'd all be riding Shovelheads (which I like, but I like my Twin Cam even more).

If you're one of the unfortunate who live here, write to your representative. This is from the AMA.

American Motorcyclist Association
Oppose Senate Bill 435

Information Alert Tell the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to Oppose SB 435

Take Action!
Bill Would Mandate Smog Testing for On-Road Motorcycles Statewide

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, District 23, D) is currently awaiting a hearing in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee. If adopted as written it would mandate all model year 2000 and newer motorcycles be smog tested biannually. The smog test would be required despite the lack of any evidence that motorcycles are a significant source of emissions statewide.

The only two counties to ever smog test motorcycles nationwide, Pima and Maricopa in Arizona, have already shown that motorcycle testing leads to no significant reduction in measured emissions levels. Pima County has already dropped their testing program and Maricopa is awaiting EPA’s approval to do the same.

Other important points to consider include:

Motorcycles, because of their relatively low yearly mileage totals when compared to other classes of vehicles, already have the lowest emissions of any motor vehicle category in California.

This bill has no specific information regarding the test method to be used, emissions levels to be enforced or the test’s potential costs to either the state or the individual owners.

The deadline proposed for creating a testing procedure is slated for July 1, 2011 in the bill, and this is simply too close to the proposed test implementation date of January 1, 2012.

California’s motorcycle engine emission standards are already the strictest in the nation, and were just reduced again for model year 2008 and newer motorcycles.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Whats next? Red and Green sticker like our dirt bikes? Heck they closed clear creek now they aill close Hollister...LOL...freakin commies...bunch of grass munchin tree huggin druids...

Originally Posted by Regis
We are soooo screwed if they pass this in California. The only legal thing you'd be able to modify would be a mc that is less than 250 cc or 1976 or older. Meaning we'd all be riding Shovelheads (which I like, but I like my Twin Cam even more).

If you're one of the unfortunate who live here, write to your representative. This is from the AMA.

American Motorcyclist Association
Oppose Senate Bill 435

Information Alert Tell the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to Oppose SB 435

Take Action!
Bill Would Mandate Smog Testing for On-Road Motorcycles Statewide

California Senate Bill 435 (Pavley, District 23, D) is currently awaiting a hearing in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee. If adopted as written it would mandate all model year 2000 and newer motorcycles be smog tested biannually. The smog test would be required despite the lack of any evidence that motorcycles are a significant source of emissions statewide.

The only two counties to ever smog test motorcycles nationwide, Pima and Maricopa in Arizona, have already shown that motorcycle testing leads to no significant reduction in measured emissions levels. Pima County has already dropped their testing program and Maricopa is awaiting EPA’s approval to do the same.

Other important points to consider include:

Motorcycles, because of their relatively low yearly mileage totals when compared to other classes of vehicles, already have the lowest emissions of any motor vehicle category in California.

This bill has no specific information regarding the test method to be used, emissions levels to be enforced or the test’s potential costs to either the state or the individual owners.

The deadline proposed for creating a testing procedure is slated for July 1, 2011 in the bill, and this is simply too close to the proposed test implementation date of January 1, 2012.

California’s motorcycle engine emission standards are already the strictest in the nation, and were just reduced again for model year 2008 and newer motorcycles.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL - Good old California...

Careful! Soon you'll all be going down to the library on your Vespas for a rootin tootin goood time of punch, pie, and story hour. LOL!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 03:17 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

I don't get it...here they wanna let you marry a dude, smoke a joint and hug a tree but you can't put pipes on your bike if this passes...they can give me tickets till I leave this freakin state...

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Angry

I am absolutely howling with fury!!!!! They passed this pure piece o' crap law yesterday!!! My Republican Senator (George Runner) voted yes on this!!! You should see who put this bill in. It's Senator Fran Pavley from Santa Monica. Take a look at this 'woman' and you'll get an idea of what California is all about. See her tips....

Senator Pavley...

http://dist23.casen.govoffice.com/

Switch to earth-friendly lightbulbs. Read a Green Lighting Guide to identify which energy-efficient bulbs have the least mercury, where in your home they should go and how to use them safely.

Eat organic when you can. Put this Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in your wallet or on your iPhone (now!) so you can eat organic without breaking the bank.

Do that dusting. Pets and young children are the most vulnerable to dust-bound pollutants, but cleaning your home is free, easy, and everyone benefits from cleaner indoor air.

Senator Pavley’s proposed legislation, Senate Bill 257 would provide California state employees notification of existing laws benefitting lactating mothers. Current California law requires employers to provide a reasonable amount of break time and the use of a private room to express breast milk. This bill would educate state workers nearing maternity leave about the law and make available resources on breast feeding.

Complete Bill

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/...ed_sen_v98.pdf

Bill Analysis

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/po...&author=pavley

Votes (and there weren't any NOES!!!)

UNOFFICIAL BALLOT
MEASURE: SB 435
AUTHOR: Pavley
TOPIC: Smog check program: motorcycles.
DATE: 04/27/2009
MOTION: Placed on Appropriations Suspense file.
(AYES 13. NOES 0.) (PASS)

AYES

Kehoe *** Corbett Denham
DeSaulnier Hancock Leno Oropeza
Runner Walters Wolk Wyland
Yee

NOES

This bill would require the department to include Class III model-year
2000 and newer motorcycles in the smog check program beginning
January 1, 2012.
Because violations of smog checks for motorcycles would be a crime,
this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

I am leaving this POS state as soon as I can....

Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

It passed out of committee but who knows it may get one nay vote on the floor...freakin commies...I say give cali back to the Mexicans...too bad such a nice looking state with great weather has to be run by these psyco's...

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a TTS, PC, or SEST of any sort, the bike won't pass. You'll prob have to remap it to stock settings to pass smog and then reprogram it again. It will be a royal pain in the a$$.

Speaking of this Senator Pavley greenie...

I work in Santa Monica where this b*tch resides and if you see the type of people walking around, you'd either wanna punch them or run them over.

I'm fed up with all of the granola crunchers out here and they're truely ruining our state and eventually, our country.

I've posted a thread on this subject as well as others. Keep posting these and making everyone you know aware of this...

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
LOL - Good old California...

Careful! Soon you'll all be going down to the library on your Vespas for a rootin tootin goood time of punch, pie, and story hour. LOL!!!
This will affect you guys out of state too. It'll start in CA but spread throughout the country. So if you can, please do something about it. We're all in the same boat.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming to your state soon!

Quick Reply: SB435, CA Motorcycle Smog Law