General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife went down

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, that sucks. My wife doesn't ride with me but says she'd like to learn to ride her own. My biggest fear is she will get hurt even though I have never met anyone more determined or capable of anything.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Bar_Hopper
Tourer

poor lady! at least she was "man" enough to get on a bike in the first place! tell her that i am amazed by any woman with the drive to get on a bike!

i hope she feels better, and i hope she gets back on the horse!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:57 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the wife just talk positive to her and like others said she learned the hard way but she won't forget it either.

As for the bike i think most are miss reading what he said she took the class on the class bike but they went and picked her out a new 1200 for her and bought it while they were there. She used the class bike not her own.

As for not calling iam looking to get my instructor license and i would probably call if someone took a bad spill. But like others said they are pushing alot of people thru those classes everyweek and those instructors see it all they iam sure checked her over as they are all first aid trained and helped her when she was there on the coarse and gave her a pep talk but they or most probably don't call everyone that goes down. Most of them are like the rest of us and have other jobs and families and running busy all the time if they called everyone that went down in there class's to check on them they would be on the phone none stop.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
ActiveRider
6th Gear

surely hope she's doing ok and will soon get back on. I had a similar experience, just practice riding on the lawn b4 i got my permit... GRASS is slick.. especially for front brakes.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
rookie003
Intermediate

All the dealers around here supply the bike ( buell ) for the class. When my wife took the course they were a couple of riders that went down. Then on the last day of the course all riders had to pass the driving part and some failed and had to reschedule. With her I took here to large paved parking lot away from all cars and let her ride in circles practicing going thru the gears, stopping,starting. Got milk crates and weaved thru them. Hope she gets to feeling better and gets back on the bike.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife is also a brand new, 5 foot tall, 112 pound rider so I can relate. First and foremost, our best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery. I totally get what OhioScully said.. he has some valid points, but still, based on your post.. it sounds like maybe they should re think how they teach the course.. Again, best wishes for your wife.. hopefully she won't be discouraged enough to give up.. our best to you both

mavrick

Last edited by mavrickFLHR; 05-03-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:15 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

messed up on the instructors part...hope your wife continues to ride and that she heals quickly

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What a bummer. The course can be tough on someone who has never been on a bike before. My wife had some street riding experience on her Deluxe before she got into an MSF course and she believes it helped alot with the whole clutch/brake deal.

Even so she had a couple mishaps while learning including a broken wrist that shook her confidence. But she stuck it out and a year later is a riding fool.

I think you're justified in being disappointed and upset with the instructor and dealership.

Best wishes

Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those instructors see those minor crashes daily. I dumped a bike during the training course, I did the same thing going into a turn a little too fast and trying out a safety move. I literally thought oh **** I'm going to fast and hit the front brake before straightening the wheel..It was the drill but I just did it too fast and was having too much fun. I tore the bike up, but I will always remember that lesson..If I did that on my bike I would have been pissed.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:00 PM
p.o_o.h
Advanced

Yeah, that dreaded front brake at low speed. I learned that as a newbie on big bikes. Always could stand myself up with a dirt bike hitting front brake. Not with the hog. Luckily it was like 2 mph. Scratched my primary underside. Still hasn't repainted it.

Get well reel quick and don't give up as yet. Wearing a full face helps too!

Quick Reply: Wife went down