General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type leather jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Icon Merc....Comfortable and protection in the shoulders and elbows.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first one was from Wilson Leather but the one I have now is a HD one.
Go with what you like.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the jacket that suits your tastes best and that is FUNCTIONAL for it's purpose - a motorcycle jacket.

There are leather jackets and then there are LEATHER JACKETS for riders. The difference being in how thick the leather is (that's what saves your bacon from painful road rash when you crash) and also how well it vents (for summer) and also how good a liner has to keep you warm in winter. If it's too hot or too cold you will be tempted to leave it in the closet.

Mine is a Fox Creek leather Classic m/c jacket. I've had it for almost a year and literally worn it every single day from 20's temps to 90's temps. It's by far the finest quality leather jacket i've ever seen or owned. The vents work well when you're under way and it keeps you comfortable in 90's temps. Also the winter Thinsulate liner it comes with actually WORKS even at freeway speeds with temps in the 20's if I wear a good sweater under it or a fleece pullover (don't have to wear multiple layers under it - just one good layer is adequate).

I had a 70 mph crash in November when rear-ended by a hit and run driver on the freeway. I surfed the pavement on my back from 70 mph down to Zero mph (not sure but that's probably 150-200 feet?) and got up and walked away. The jacket held up very well with surprisingly minor damage and I'm still wearing it. That leather saved me from horrendous road rash.

Also as said above a RIDING jacket will have snap-down collars, vents that zip open or closed as needed, etc.

Anyways, buy what suits your taste and needs but be sure it's up to the task as a RIDING jacket and not just "a leather jacket" cuz if you look at the two you'll see a significant difference (my FC jacket weighs 10 pounds - heavy/thick/supple leather) which is about double what a Wilson's dress jacket will weigh typically.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 PM
frank.mcmohan6
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by frank.mcmohan6; 05-07-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I always wore british style jackets but finally bought my first classic jacket.

Wow, what a difference in the coverage. The way they zip up, aint any way air is getting in. Kind of hot over 70 degrees. Lot's of pockets to tote your stuff.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My first was a old school thick style Wilson Leather jacket and it's still doing the job; about 8 years old. I bought one of them fxrg skull waterproof Airguard jackets at the local stealer on sale for $125, not a bad jacket.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Windeed
Tourer

Have both styles of leather jackets and they are all Harley. I find the traditional motorcycle jacket very comfortable in comparison to the British style. However, the trend now is more towards the British style jacket. A true motorcycle jacket is designed and sewn to conform to the position of your body on the bike and therefore will be more comfortable on long rides. Problem is they cost more. I have found some nice used jackets on Ebay for a reasonable price but now that its riding season people are wearing them rather than selling them.

Arizona is right. Good leather is part of your safety equipment and can save your a$$.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't go wrong with either of those jackets. You'll be amazed at the quality and detail of the Xelement jackets sold by Leather-Up.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fox Creek leather Commander is my choice. Not only is it the most comfortable jacket I've ever worn, but it's stylish, beautifully crafted with quality leather and hardware and is heavy (~12 lbs). Fox Creek makes serious riding gear, and can be counted on to protect you when you're sliding down the pavement.

In leather, you really do get what you pay for, and if your hide is only worth $100, then by all means pursue the lower end "poser" jackets.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 AM
99octane
Road Warrior

I have an HD FXRG and a Dainese "british" one in pinholed leather, for summer.