General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

If other riders agree your rear brake is overly sensitive, you'd want to check out everything in the rear brake system to make sure it is functioning properly (or have it checked out).

If the system is working properly, then, perhaps adjusting your brake pedal - to move it more towards the front of the bike (thus, farther from your foot), would help.

Certainly, jumping on your rear brake in a curve because you saw a cop indicates there is some adjustment needed in the rider system.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Next time...get the ticket...it's cheaper and doesn't hurt as much. Years ago I almost got mashed when jamming on the brakes for a radar trap. I can still remember the guy in the car behind me locking up his brakes behind me. Now, I pay little attention to the police. I will let off the throttle but f#@kit if I am getting a ticket then so be it. I usually tell the cop that I saw him and then relate my story about almost getting rear ended. About 50% of the time they give me a warning and let me go.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or just ease off the throttle and slow down a bit.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You might have some contaminant on your rotor or pads. Take it apart, polish the rotor and put new pads on. Then go out and find a large empty parking lot and practice panic stops for a couple hours. You'll be amazed at how much better your fast stopping gets with some good practice.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
not to get anybody mad but it really sounds like you need to learn to ride better .. yes the rear brake can lock up but used properly and with the front no problems . soubnd as tho you just panics because you could see a cop and stomped on the pedal . go someplace and practice..
I expected a response like that. It was totally helpful.... If the rear brake is so sensitive that even a tiny little bump can cause you to press it too hard then it is just too damn sensitive. I have ridden plenty of other bikes that didn't feel like mine does. Thanks anyway.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
ddog
Advanced

Heavy braking while leaning in a turn is tricky business. MC rider courses teach that emergency braking should only be done with the bike standing up - for all too obvious reasons.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 PM
fat boy
Advanced

lf you can lift your bike up see if the rearcaliper is to tight on the rotor if it is the peddle will be high & feel sensitive

Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
jokerx
Banned

Man, some of y'all give really crappy advice...dude was going around a curve and your suggesting that he use the front brake and others suggesting that he downshift?

Hope y'all just didn't read his post thoroughly.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 PM
spike95
Road Master

Let me make something clear here... I know that my front brake is the primary thing stopping my bike. That is simple physics. I don't rely on my rear brake for much but I have discovered over the years that if I need to slow down a little in a turn that lightly pressing the rear brake does much less to interupt my line through the turn and doesn't cause the bike to want to instantly go upright like hitting the front will. I was not making a panick stop or trying to instantly slow down by 20mph. I was trying to scrub about 5mph off of my speed as I exited the turn. I had already pretty much finished slowing down and was at the end of the curve when it locked up. I was babying the brake as usual and it was a very gentle and small curve Probably no more than a 15degree change in the direction of the road. I must have hit a little bump or something that made me hit the brake harder. Obviously I should not have been speeding. I make no excuse for that. I appreciate all of you so quick to assume it must be all operator error and of course some of it must have been, but my brake is still way too sensitive and that is what I came here to ask about. You telling me I don't know how to ride (and judging by some of the advice neither do you apparently) does nothing to correct my brake situation.

Last edited by spike95; 05-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jokerx
Man, some of y'all give really crappy advice...dude was going around a curve and your suggesting that he use the front brake and others suggesting that he downshift?

Hope y'all just didn't read his post thoroughly.
I trail the front brake in corners. When done right it is not a problem .Three time world champ Freddie Spencer use to teach it in his performance school for street and track riding.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...