General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...

The rear brake on my bike is way sensitive. It's not just the way I ride. I've had friends ride it and they all agree. It is very easy to lock up the rear tire unless you baby the brake pedal. I have had a few emergency stops before that caused me to lock it and luckily not dump the bike...

Yesterday I was riding around a gentle curve and doing about 45 in a 35. Saw a cop on the other side so I went to slow down gently by way of the rear brake. It locked up and the bike got sideways. Next thing I know, I am rolling down the pavement for about 50ft. All that was going through my head is, "Thank God I have a helmet on and thank God I don't feel anything breaking." I got a good little bit of road rash (I'm going back to wearing my leather in the summer again even if it's 91 degrees like yesterday). I also smacked my hands into the ground and various parts of them are pretty bruised up and sore and I also peeled a layer of skin off my left palm. My knee caps got banged up and it feels like I twisted the right one(probably will stick with me longer than the other injuries). I opted not to go to the emergency room because I can't afford to go unless I really seriously need to. I got up and walked away from this one. My bike is a little banged up but still driveable so a buddy rode it home for me. Luckily it is all stuff I can fix myself... but I have to do something about that damned rear brake. It just became intolerable when it put me on the ground. I now see quite clearly that I won't be able to baby that pedal in every situation and all it takes is a little bump to make you mash it that few millimeters further that it takes to lock it up.

What can I do to weaken that rear brake? Should I just take some fluid out of it? I don't understand why my front brake is the typical mush but the rear is like hercules gripping the rotor.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you walked away from this. As far as your brake problem I dunno what to say. Are you running the stock caliper or have you upgraded it, and what brake pads are you running?

*EDIT*
Taking fluid out is not the answer, this will only allow air into the system if too much is removed, and if you just remove a little the amount of fluid to the caliper is still going to be the same.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would take it in and ask the dealer to check the porportioning valve in the rear brake hydraulic assembly or, failing that, see if there is a in-line proportioning valve you can insert into the line to slow the transfer to the rear caliper from the reservior.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to get anybody mad but it really sounds like you need to learn to ride better .. yes the rear brake can lock up but used properly and with the front no problems . soubnd as tho you just panics because you could see a cop and stomped on the pedal . go someplace and practice..

Old 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

1> Use you front brake as it was intended to be used

2> Put an air bubble in the rear brake line

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
bad_azz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by softail04
not to get anybody mad but it really sounds like you need to learn to ride better .. yes the rear brake can lock up but used properly and with the front no problems . soubnd as tho you just panics because you could see a cop and stomped on the pedal . go someplace and practice..
+1 here. sounds like it was just cop panic. plus, from what i've always heard... rear brake + curve = road rash.
the rear brake will always feel like it grabs the wheel more because of weight transfer. the front wheel feels "squishier" but is actually providing more stopping power because of the weight transfer. i could be wrong because i've never ridden your bike.
i would just take it to a qualified wrench and have them check it out.
sorry to hear about the wreck. hope ya heal up quick.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Gotta agree with the previous posters - sounds like you panicked and hit the rear brake too hard. I've NEVER heard anyone say that their rear brake is too sensitive - usually that it doesn't seem to do squat.. You need to practice riding using only your front brake. The rear is an assist - the front should do all the work. Hell, I rarely ever use the rear brake!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,946 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The rear brake on a motorcycle should be sensitive. The majority of your stopping power should come from the front brakes as stated above. I only my rear brake on anic: stops. Think of it like riding a bicycle when you were a kid. If you slam on the rear brake on a bike it will skid to the side like your bicycle would. The classes teach to use 1/2 and 1.2 with the brakes but I have never ridden like this coming from a sport bike background. Try watching the ride like a pro video, that might help you out. Just remember, a bike is never going to stop like a car does. It is a completely different kind of vehicle.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you didn't do too much damage, and managed to walk away!
As far as the brake lock-up - I've locked mine up in a panic. I rarely use my rear brake, and when I do, it's at parking lot speeds, panic stops, or for cornering control.
I do a lot of dirt biking and that usually requires a lot of rear only braking - so I am pretty good at modulating it. But non the less, my Harley rear brakes can be touchy!
I've heard of an anti-lock add on for the brakes (not true ABS), which sound like a mechanical brake modulator of some sort (sorry about the vagueness). But I would worry about not having the brake power when I need it. Although locked brakes do nothing for control.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time try down shifting and let the engine do the braking. I also don't believe that motorcyle brakes have a proportioning valve, at least in the truest sense as your front and rear brakes are two separate systems (therefore nothing to proportion).

Quick Reply: Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...