General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you ever replaced the whole caliper?
That's what I'd probably try first.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

If you're not mechanically inclined bring it to your dealer and have them check out the rear brake. But in my experience using the rear brake only at anything above walking speed is a recipe for disaster. Stomp on that brake by itself and you have a good chance at going down.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM
ictinike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you went down. Most crashes (all) I've seen on the street have been from rear brakes...

Simple fix. Change your brake pads. Pad compound mean a great deal. Just call ECB, tell them your issue, they''ll tell you what to stick in there. (Of course, as long as you're sure the rest of the system is working correctly)

Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's good to hear you walked away from this...don't let seeing an officer make you want to overeact...

Old 05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Best post of the entire thread is by Gump, as usual.

I grew up in the days before all these rider safety courses. Like Gump, I usually only used the rear brake. Only in an emergency stop would I also use the front brake. Braking this way was never a factor in going down, which I only did twice while riding on the street.

Now I'm not saying that is the correct way to use your brakes. Apparently, many will disagree. I'm just saying that using your rear brake is not going to cause an accident. Other factors come into play.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
roqueweiler
Advanced

Hey Guys,

I'm not a tech (or even a great mechanic) but,

has anyone thought that perhaps the piston is dirty and sticking?

Can you clean or replace the pistons like you can in a car?

Just a thought.....

Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by jokerx
Man, some of y'all give really crappy advice...dude was going around a curve and your suggesting that he use the front brake and others suggesting that he downshift?

Hope y'all just didn't read his post thoroughly.

I'm with you on this. Hard front brake in a turn, bye bye.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

Originally Posted by golfblues
I'm with you on this. Hard front brake in a turn, bye bye.
hard braking through a turn will usually put you down, no matter which brake you use. however feathering the front OR rear brake in a turn is perfectly fine. using the brakes to scrub speed is perfectly normal on the street. the only times you'll run into a problem trying to brake in a turn is if the bike is cranked all the way over (which sorry, a harley's maximum lean angle is NOT cranked all the way over) in combination with ham-fisted front or rear brake application. if you have to panic stop, or quickly scrub speed it is of course, best to first get the bike as straight as possible before braking. if you're just trying to slow down a few mph because you're over the speed limit, rolling off the throttle and letting the engine slow you down is the best way. it will always upset the bike the least in that type of situation.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spike95, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had the same problem with my rear brake locking up. Well, on my way into work this morning I realized it hasn't happened since I put a longer brake pedal on my bike. Changed the leverage and allows for a smoother brake action. A side benefit was it gave me more room on my boards.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you walked away. Just posting to agree with you. The back brake is way to sensitive. Never totally locked it up, but chirped the back tire a time or two in what I would consider less than a panic situation. Be carefull out there.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake is way too sensitive! Put me down yesterday...