General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yikes....i ran over a tire on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yikes....i ran over a tire on the freeway

not a whole tire but you know those retreads that come flying off of big rigs in chunks?
it was one of those
i was cruising along about 70ish when i came up on an escalade you can't see around those things so i changed lanes right into the retread with a loud thwap as it struck the under side of my bike

didn't do any damage though but it was a white knuckler
freebyrd

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
bignateLA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate those damn things...I almost ran over one on the first ride on my bike, I was going througha curve and there's this damn road gator in my lane, i went low & missed it but I imagine the biek would have got pretty squirrley if I'd hit it leaned over.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Gotta watch them Gators. They can do some serious damage. I'm glad you didn't get bit.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:11 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,551 Likes on 4,761 Posts

them retread thingies,are called road alligators

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Antonio Dom.Rep.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, In here you can find a dead horse after a curve. Not joking, I´ve seen it much more than one time. Beautiful country mine, but I always thing that behind a curve anything can come up in front of you.
Cheers

Old 06-07-2009, 05:43 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad your OK,always wondered about those retreads.Or anything coming off one of those trucks.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good think you didnt get hurt.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you made it without gettin bit- a white knuckler indeed! If you've never seen (heard) an 18 wheeler tire go, you wont soon forget it- and for every road-gator you see, thats a tire that blew (or threw).

I'm always *****-to-the-wall to pass trucks for that very reason- I never ride behnd or beside trucks- period. If I'm behind a rider and we're passing a truck, I wait till the front guy clears the tractor before I even start to over take it. One of my "isms" you could say. My ridin' buddies dont understand- I dont like riding anywhere near big rigs.

Besides rubber, I've seen big rigs drop chains, come alongs, metal breaker bars (for closing trailer doors) straps, ratchets, chocks- you name it. Look behind the cab of a tractor hauling a low boy and you'll see a chain rack, with chain after chain hangin like sausages in the butcher shop. Pretty scarry, eh kids?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:42 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Plenty of crap on the roads here.
Just got back from Montana,talk about clean highways!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:48 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you are OK. BTW, it is not only retreads that blow like that, a first time use tire can as well. You are lucky, a friend of mine hit one and it got caught up in his front wheel/fender causing the tire to come to a very quick stop and him to go flying off the bike at high speed.

I use to drive a truck and I agree, stay the hell away from them if you can. In my experience most truck drivers are pretty good, better than most folks driving a four wheeler anyway. The problem being that is an 80,000 pound vehicle with all kinds of things that can go wrong. Those tires (even just the tread) are very very heavy and can ruin your day quickly.

Quick Reply: yikes....i ran over a tire on the freeway