General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROT and City of Austin Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I've been trying to google this since I'm going to Austin for the Rally and the only thing I can find is that they tried a couple of years ago to make it mandatory for all ages to wear a helmet....on a bicylcle.

Any one have any link or anything to back this up on the motorcycles? I have a sticker, what the hell, $5 bucks to aviod a hassle is well worth the money to me. I just don't want them stopping me for a "safety" check and smelling the "one" beer I "might" drink with dinner

I'm really kidding but, I have been to the ROT rally every year since 05 and have a blast every time. The police are great. They arrest the idiots that ask for it and leave you alone other wise. The people line the streets for the parade and they put on a great party on the 6th street. I can't imagine this year being any different. I'm sure the businesses that are hurting are going to love the money we'll spend.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$5.00 dollars for a sticker to say I comply with the law is a wrong. This is nothing but a bs tax.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,697 Posts

I also have the sticker on my plate, but also carry my insurance card (medical). I have ridden most of the state, including Austin, and have never been bothered.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 AM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I have a sticker, what the hell, $5 bucks to aviod a hassle is well worth the money to me.
The $5 sticker doesn't keep them from stopping you though, it's too small to see. So what do you think the result of that is, they can pull you over to "check you sticker". Just like the "DOT" sticker on my wife's helmet is too small to see & she got pulled over for that.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
digz`
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your running south on I-35 watch out for the town of Round Rock just this side of Austin. Those guys are ****** , i got a ticket from them and i showed him my Blue cross blue shield card and it didnt work. He gave me the bs that it didnt show coverage on the card. He was going to impound my bike since i wasnt legal , luckily there was a Harley dealer right down the road and the came and got my bike and took me out of city limits and on i went.
I was talking to a Dallas cop here i know sometime after the rally and he said the impounded over 1000 bikes last year from the **** hole town Round Rock.

So on the way back we took the 130 toll road from Austin to Georgetown to avoid Round Rock , its was better and alot faster..... will be going this way again.

Last edited by digz`; 06-10-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Also

Austin police begin a campaign today where they will be enforcing the
ticketing of unsafe and aggressive drivers. Some examples are following
too close, changing lanes erratically, and aggressive speeds and actions.

Heads Up for those heading to Austin this weekend.
All of the actions are illegal, why wouldn't they ticket? I'm a native born Texan (tyler), but if you want no helmet and wide open spaces, go West young man, go West.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM
khyber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SciFiGuy
Also

Austin police begin a campaign today where they will be enforcing the
ticketing of unsafe and aggressive drivers. Some examples are following
too close, changing lanes erratically, and aggressive speeds and actions.

Heads Up for those heading to Austin this weekend.
Yep, this describes the a$$holes I want nowhere near me; be they in cars or on bikes. Write 'em all up.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:34 PM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The economy is down, tax revenues are down, so look for all cities to be looking for ways to increase their revenues. A quick one is to add more tickets and play the numbers game that more people will plead nolo contendre and pay the fines than will fight the tickets.

sporty06

Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Feel free to join TMRA, TMRA2, or your CoC/COIR and help stand for your rights.
best post right here. as motorcycle riders, if we all banded together, we could change quite a few things. problem is getting us together.

remember, united we stand, divided we fall.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by deni
The $5 sticker doesn't keep them from stopping you though, it's too small to see. So what do you think the result of that is, they can pull you over to "check you sticker". Just like the "DOT" sticker on my wife's helmet is too small to see & she got pulled over for that.
You can forget your insurance card and your riders course card, but you can't forget the sticker. If they want to waste they're time for that, they are more than welcome to stop me.

Funny in another post the officer wouldn't accept the insurance card as proof of coverage. I sent in a Zerox copy of my card with the form to get the sticker

I also think it's funny that you guys will spend hundreds of dollars on bling for you bike but you whine about $5 that is good for three years that in my opinion, basically says to the cop, "F' you. I'm legal".

But then again, that's just my opinion which means absolutely nothing.

Just remember, you're unique, just like everyone else

Quick Reply: ROT and City of Austin Helmet Law