General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum tool list for trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
Hammer and Vice-grips!!!
just like my dad used to...lol

Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
3500 is just a series of 200 mi rides. For sure basic tools to check usual stuff before each ride.
That is true to a point. On this ride we will do as few freeway as we can. We do have the route pretty much planned out. We will do some of Hwy 50 thru Nevada, and a lot of 95 in Nevada. Lots of back roads so there isn't always a gas station to pull into.

Like I said, normally I don't even worry about it, and I not worried, but would like to have a few items in case some bolt comes loose, jiffy stand srpings breaks, some wire comes lose and needs to be taped up, just little stuff like that. I don't plan on actually making any repairs on the road. Like others say, that what cell phones are for. he he he.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,891 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Trailer it, that way you can take your entire tool box and a few spare parts...j/k

Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tejasrider
I bought this kit at my HD dealership for 40 bucks, it is a pretty comprehensive compact kit. The only thing I would add is a few fuses;

http://www.beza.biz/windzone/catalog/ee1hd
Check out the list in the advertisement. Not 1, but 2 spark plug sockets. WTF is that all about?? Are the spark plugs on each head different sizes or what?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:08 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing you can do is look at your bike. figure out the best way to get to the battery, (take a small biker set of jumper cables), wrenches screw drivers needed.. look around at stuff . lots of things on your bike will have the same sizes.. also some extra wire, electrical tape, bulbs, wire connectors, tire gauges, maybe a left handed crescent wrench or two. If you have major problems your probably gonna have to haul it into a shop anyway ,, so you don't need to worry about carrying every tool there is. pliers .ect are good. too, or leathermans tools set knifes ect.

I have had to replace the drive belt in the parking lot of walmart once.. luckily I found the tools I needed inside the store.The other rider ran down and picked up the belt from harley. Just enjoy the ride more than likely you'll have no problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:58 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Not a tool but carry a microfiber towel to clean off your windshield every morning.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM
tejasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then came Bronson could rebuild an engine on the side of a highway with a rock, a roll of duct tape and a twig

Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm leaving in the morning for a week. Taking a cruz tool kit and some other's that I normally use when servicing and tightening things up. Don't forget a flashlight,tape,loctite and a little "God,get me out of this one" type of prayer.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CruzTools EconoKit H1

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your motorcycle has been properly maintained just be sure your insurance is up to date and pack a credit card and a cell phone. Ride, don't worry.

Quick Reply: Minimum tool list for trip