General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Bracket Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Newgene
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a little confusing. I'm trying to put together what I believe to be a simple combination of saddlebags and a tour-pak. The saddlebags will probably be the bull saddlebags here http://www.saddlebags.net/store/p/10...addlebags.html. So, I need to buy the following...I think.

1.) Tour pack 2-up detachable bracket, 54051-08. This apparently fits the 200mm rear tire. I had to find it online because my 08 catalog didn't even have it listed.

2.) Saddlebags with EZ Brackets. From what I have been told, they will fit just like the HD detachable items.

3.) Docking hardware. This is where I'm a tad confused. I see for my year, there are two options. They are 53930-03 and 53932-03. For some reason, itsn't real clear which one works with the 2-up tour-pak and saddlebags.

Last edited by Newgene; 06-21-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Newgene
Advanced

BTW, when you go to the HD website, for part 54051-08, http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...3&default=none, it references the fitment guide. However, nowhere in that guide does it say the FLSTF can have both the 2-up and saddlebags of any kind. In fact, it doesn't even say the 2-up can fit detachable. Yet, they sell the part.

I may need to find someone who actually has the bracket and saddlebags and see how they did it.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The docking hardware HD refers to stays on your bike. No hardware goes on the racks themselves.

Whether you can use your ezbracket hardware with the HD docking hardware, couldn't say.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Newgene
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
The docking hardware HD refers to stays on your bike. No hardware goes on the racks themselves.

Whether you can use your ezbracket hardware with the HD docking hardware, couldn't say.

I understand the docking hardware stays on the bike. However, I can't determine from HD's information, which set of hardware to buy. The rack and the saddlebag brackets need to interface with whichever hardware I install.

I just am trying to figure out which hardware to buy to mount to the bike. It's just not clear from HD.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Just a guess from my own installation, I think the difference between the two different docking hardware parts is that the one made for saddlebags will have a 2 long studs that the bags mount to. The ones for NO saddlebags will not have a bag mounting stud on them.

As I said I'm not sure how the ez mounts work. Do they come with their own bag mounting "studs" which would have to be longer to allow for the width of the docking hardware or do they work with the existing HD hardware. If it's the latter seems you should get the docking hardware made for use with saddlebags. It'll have the longer bag mounting studs.

Hope that all makes sense

Edit: Here's a picture of the docking hardware. The grommets slide over the bag mounting studs which is why when you get the docking hardware made for saddlebags, they include longer studs.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 06-22-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Newgene
Advanced

I'm actually at work, so I can't view the pictures. Here's two things I found out.

1.) Even my local Harley dealer can't figure out which mounting hardware I need. I told them to give me the mounting hardward to fit a given tour-pak mount item number, and they couldn't tell me what to buy. I told them I would be buying an aftermarket bag that fits HD hardware, and they then kept asking if the bags were hard or leather. I have no idea why they asked me that.

2.) If I buy the EZ Bracket, the vendor said they mount to the outside of of new provided bolts.

So, I'm wondering if there is such a docking hardware that will let me mount the Tour pack 2-up detachable bracket, 54051-08, and either of the different types of bag hardware (HD or aftermarket external type).

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the detatchible luggage rack and docking hardware on my RK and the instructions were awful. It wasn't easy to figure out because the docking instructions are for like 5 different bikes with dozens of spare parts. HD intentionally makes it as difficult as possible so you'll have it professionally installed.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:10 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

EZ brackets for the Fat Boy shouldn't be a problem, the tour pak, now that's another beast. You probably aren't going to find that fitment listed, don't see a lot of tour paks on Fatboys. That said, yes, it can be done, anything can be done. You're going to have to do a little work to figure it out, but my experience tells me it could go two ways, either a real pain in the azz, but hey, you get something totally different, or a pleasant surprise, it all fits, no sweat. I once bought some Heritage bags from an '87 because they were a great deal and I wanted to put them on my shovelhead. The dealer told me if I used the hardware from a Heritage, I would need to custom fit it to my struts. Ok, a project! Got the stuff home, bolted it to the existing holes, locked the bags on and rode away, about an hour of work, everything bolted right up. Hopefully you get that lucky, not like the time I fit the new style Road King wheels to the shovel.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

My best guess providing you have a 2003 or later fatboy is 53930-03. Looks like you also need the directional relocator 53959-06.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:16 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

on mine had to get the docking system for the detach backrest.. Imagine that. was that an oversite,,, "NOT"...

Quick Reply: Detachable Bracket Hardware