General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Bracket Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Newgene
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Bracket Hardware

If you want to make an item detachable, and you buy the correct detachable bracket, is there any additional hardware you need to buy to modify your bike to install them? For example, if you are adding a Tour-pak, and you buy the detachable bracket for it, will it just mount to your bike. Or, do you have to buy some type of bracket to mount to your bike as well.

I am assuming it is the same way with saddlebags as well. I would think you could just buy the detachable bracket for the item and install it. But knowing HD, I'm guessing there is some kit I need to buy to install to the bike first. If so, do I need to do that to every detachable bracket I buy?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Detachable H-D accessories require the bike to have docking hardware also from H-D attached to the bike.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Newgene
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Detachable H-D accessories require the bike to have docking hardware also from H-D attached to the bike.
That's what I was guessing. So, is it safe to say that it's one of those buy it once kinda items. I've seen some that are around $40, and I'm guessing I'll need to drop the rear wheel to install it. I wanted to make sure that if I did this once, I could then just attach saddlebags and a detachable Tour-pak, and i would be good to go.

Please tel me this isn't something I would need to do more than once.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Not sure what kind of bike or year you have. On the 09 you can buy 4 point and 2 point docking hardware and it is a snap to install yourself. I have the 4 point which can accommodate a tour pack or a sissy bar. A luggage rack will also work at the same time with a sissy bar. The two point might only allow a sissy bar but I'm not sure.

I believe you can also install the docking hardware for either solo or 2-up riding. Solo would move a tour pack to directly behind the rider (with no room for a passenger) as opposed to being further back.

Not sure how other year hardware works but might be comparable.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Red9
Road Captain

One thing you can be sure of...everything HD makes needs something changed out.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
trslim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Detachable bags require mounting hardware and turn signal extenstions. They work great and detach in seconds.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My detachable sissy bar didn't come with docking hardware.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Newgene
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Not sure what kind of bike or year you have. On the 09 you can buy 4 point and 2 point docking hardware and it is a snap to install yourself. I have the 4 point which can accommodate a tour pack or a sissy bar. A luggage rack will also work at the same time with a sissy bar. The two point might only allow a sissy bar but I'm not sure.

I believe you can also install the docking hardware for either solo or 2-up riding. Solo would move a tour pack to directly behind the rider (with no room for a passenger) as opposed to being further back.

Not sure how other year hardware works but might be comparable.

I have an 08 Fatboy. I'm just trying to figure out which hardware kit I need for to cover both the saddle bags and a detachable two-up tour-pak. The bags may be the EZ Brackets...I'm not sure yet.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by motordrum
My detachable sissy bar didn't come with docking hardware.
I believe no matter what year or style of H-D bike, the docking hardware is going to be a seperate purchase.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Newgene
I have an 08 Fatboy. I'm just trying to figure out which hardware kit I need for to cover both the saddle bags and a detachable two-up tour-pak. The bags may be the EZ Brackets...I'm not sure yet.
Just checked the H-D website and it doesn't do a very good job of showing what you might need so I'd refer to the P & A catalogue.

My posts would pertain to touring models. Too much probably has changed since 2001 when I sold my FatBoy to know much about the Softail Detachable hardware. Sorry

Quick Reply: Detachable Bracket Hardware