General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that powder coat what went wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 PM
missile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that powder coat what went wrong

I had my heat shields powder coated on my 09 SG the guy told me he would do them in satin black since it was the powder he had for heat. I put them on yesterday and while letting the bike run this morning before leaving out for a ride my rear heat shield flamed up at the cylinder. All the other heat shields bubbled up as well but the rear one was flamed and dripping. The bike was only idling for maybe 2-5 minutes. Just wondering how it will go Monday when I take it back to him. Thankfully I had an extra set of heat shields and was able to change them back out in about 15mins.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad it didnt start the whole bike on fire! That would have pissed you off for sure. I can't say I have heard of that happening to high heat power coating materials? I wonder if the right stuff was used on accident?

Old 06-27-2009, 11:26 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm wondering if the wrong powder coat was used?

Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might of tried to use reclaimed powder off the floor and the contaminants just let loose with the heat. thats one possibility but i've only done powder with my amateur homegun off ebay with a old kitchen oven so my experience is minimal compared to a pro powder guy.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Powder coating is basically plastic powder melted on the metal. So how hot can plastic withstand?
For true heat type coatings:
http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where the "H" is Powdercoater, when ya need him????
Don't worry, my guess is, he will STILL show up.

My 'guess' is, he used the wrong coating. BUT that is ONLY a guess, and MY guess at that. So take it for what you paid for it.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 AM
missile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to take this guy the rest of my stuff crash bars and floorboard pans to have coated but now I will look for someone else I am not sure I trust his work. It was hell trying to keep that sh@# from dripping onto my enginge and my lower rocker box is still chrome, it is now smudged not sure if it is going to polish out or not.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont think pc is heat resistent, they should have been jet hot ceramic coated a different material than pc. I just had my heat shields done and so far no issues.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

I wouldn't take him the rest of my stuff. Take back the heat shields and see if he handles the situation right and is honest, then maybe. Thats just me.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
niczumbo
Road Master

well ,here is my worthless 2 cents,i have worked for a PCP for 13 years plus and made stupidvisor(dont i mean supervisor?) so im suppose to know what im talkin bout. 1. As far as contaniments in reclaimed paint,there would have to be a WHOLE lot to make powder coat do what you said. if thats true then you dont want this guy doing yur stuff. 2.it sounds like he used the wrong paint,(ask him to show you the specs on said paint or look at the container said paint came in),if its the wrong paint,then you dont want this guy doing yur stuff. 3.powder coat paint cures at diff temps depending on the specs its made to,manufacters make pcp for wood and plastic now and its cures at under 200 degrees whereas other pcp (metal) cures at 385 and up depending on the denseity and thickness.4.any others questions ,anyone feel free to ask

Quick Reply: For those that powder coat what went wrong