General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dishonest shop, Richmond Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Dishonest shop, Richmond Virginia

I started a thread about a year ago relating to my experience with Departure Bike Works in Richmond, VA.
Took my Road King in for it's 20K service to meet obligations for the 5 year warranty.
I think they decided I was a RUB and would take me for some cash. The dealer service was only 450 but I was having a hard time getting it scheduled. These guys said they could do it right away. Well they ended up charging me 670 bucks. They put in a KN filter, 85 bucks, expensive 60wt oil, 56 bucks and Autolite? spark plugs. The big issue I had when I went to check out was that HD includes all the parts for 450, at least I found out later.
Anyway a year has past (10K miles also) and I thought it was high time to inspect the plugs. Well low and behold, what did I find? The original HD plugs were still installed. Holy Crap.

They charged me for fork lube also, but I bet they didn't even do it. I also doubt they lubed my cables. When I got home I found the chain adjuster cover screws were hanging out.

My advise? Take your bike to the dealer, for the big service intervals and avoid Departure unless of course they are your friends.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:29 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I know what you mean. A few years ago I had another shop work my Dyna for a scheduled service. Saved a few bucks but found out they left a socket in the primary case. Got it out before any damage. Needless to say I won't recommend them for crap......and I will take my bike to my local HD shop for service. At least they stand by their work and do a great job. Sometimes I learn the hard way.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Took my Road King in for it's 20K service to meet obligations for the 5 year warranty.
I think they decided I was a RUB and would take me for some cash.
well, if the shoe fits.......

seriously, you do not have to take your bike anywhere to 'meet obligations' for the warranty. you can do any and all of the work yourself. plus, if you choose to not do a specific item, it does not void the rest of the warranty. for example, if you failed to lube your kickstand at the 5k interval, and your engine throws a rod, then they can not deny your warranty because you didn't lube the kickstand. now, if your kickstand was to fall off, and you didn't do it, then thats a different story.

thanks for the headsup though about the crooked shop. its nice to know who will look out for you and who will take you to the cleaners.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:46 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,274 Posts

Get yourself a Harley service manual and do it yourself. The preventative scheduled maintenance isn't hard if you read the procedures and take your time. Also, find a good independant shop that is recommended and have them do the maintenance that you absolutely don't feel comfortable with.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Get yourself a Harley service manual and do it yourself. The preventative scheduled maintenance isn't hard if you read the procedures and take your time. Also, find a good independant shop that is recommended and have them do the maintenance that you absolutely don't feel comfortable with.
I do have a manual and can do the work. The contract spoke about having certified shops perform the 10K service.

The service manual is worth the money.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post... Was thinking about checking them out, thanks for the warning! I'll stick with the dealer in Orange, VA. Great servive, and everyone is made to feel at home there.
It's hard to find decent mechanics, and these guys impress me with the work that they do, and the excellent quality of the work.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have a manual and can do the work. The contract spoke about having certified shops perform the 10K service.

Wait a minute here.

If the contract specifically states that H-D MUST perform your maintenance to keep the contract valid, then H-D has to provide the service free, I believe.

Check out Magnuson-Moss act.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not legal at all. Ford tried this years ago making you take your car to the dealer for scheduled maintenance inorder to keep an extended warrenty in effect. They got sued over it.

Re'

Old 07-06-2009, 10:37 AM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's make this clear. You do NOT have to take your bike to the dealer to have scheduled maintenence work done on it.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
timberwolfz28
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a bad experience with this shop too. Check out my post in the BAD Dealers Sticky.

Quick Reply: Dishonest shop, Richmond Virginia