General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoiding being killed by a left turning cager?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
klap
Road Master
Received 242 Likes on 122 Posts

..one more..as you're approaching an intersection, if you see their front wheels start to move, chances are they're getting ready to pull out..

Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try doing some emergency braking in a empty parking lot to get yourself use it stopping fast. The two wheel braking will stop you with out sliding. I like the use of an air horn if I see a car going to stop or turn blast the horn before I get there. If there something I think could be a problem I will all ways down shift to a lower gear as if to use the engine to help with the stopping. All way look around and know what is around you. Watching one problem and not seeing others can kill you. Watch everything around you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In regards to the headlight modulators, I think they are a good idea. I have an '07 softtail custom with a rubber mounted headlight. This thing bounces all over. You see the reflections in street signs, reflectors on bridges, and the reflections off of the cage in front of me. When I first got the bike I said WTF. I even went back to the dealer and complained, and they said "for about $200, we can fix it with a new headlight". After 2 years of riding this bike, I have grown to like it. People really notice me, becasue that damn thing is bouncing all over the place. For instance, if you see a vehicle coming towards you with a loose headlight, you notice them rigth away, and it may be a mile down the road. So, I guess I am going to leave my rubber mounted headlight right where it is.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:38 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I ride the DC Beltway when I commute, which I think is about as bad as it gets. For the 16 miles I'm on it and in the thick of traffic, both brakes and my horn are covered. I use the horn a lot. I point a lot. I move around in my lane a lot. Last week I had not one but two women in Priuses look me in the eye and merge into me. Bike's loud, horn's loud, and I was yelling. They didn't care, and they won't ever care, because when all's said and done, the motorcycle always loses in a conflict with a car.

The most important piece of advice I can give about riding in traffic is this....Leave your ego at home in the garage. You don't need to be the fastest person on the road, and your wee-wee isn't going to shrink if that car or truck gets in front of you. It's not the end of the world if you have to sit through another cycle of a stoplight.

Remember, if given the choice between hitting another car or hitting you on your bike, just about every driver will pick you and the bike every single time. That's assuming that they see you at all.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
prettydog
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not riding yet, but hopefully next summer, but thanks for all these solutions.
Me as a person not riding yet, I did not think about all these things yet.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rthomp159
I ride the DC Beltway when I commute, which I think is about as bad as it gets. For the 16 miles I'm on it and in the thick of traffic, both brakes and my horn are covered. I use the horn a lot. I point a lot. I move around in my lane a lot. Last week I had not one but two women in Priuses look me in the eye and merge into me. Bike's loud, horn's loud, and I was yelling. They didn't care, and they won't ever care, because when all's said and done, the motorcycle always loses in a conflict with a car.

The most important piece of advice I can give about riding in traffic is this....Leave your ego at home in the garage. You don't need to be the fastest person on the road, and your wee-wee isn't going to shrink if that car or truck gets in front of you. It's not the end of the world if you have to sit through another cycle of a stoplight.

Remember, if given the choice between hitting another car or hitting you on your bike, just about every driver will pick you and the bike every single time. That's assuming that they see you at all.

Ego gets alot of riders in trouble. Especially if they forget they're on 2 wheels instead of their SUV. You have my respect for being a daily rider on the DC beltway which sucks even in a cage.

Closest thing to it in my parts is the NJ Turnpike/GSP up north. More scarey than any thrill ride at GA but w/o the fun.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

Originally Posted by TheGeek
In regards to the headlight modulators, I think they are a good idea. I have an '07 softtail custom with a rubber mounted headlight. This thing bounces all over. You see the reflections in street signs, reflectors on bridges, and the reflections off of the cage in front of me. When I first got the bike I said WTF. I even went back to the dealer and complained, and they said "for about $200, we can fix it with a new headlight". After 2 years of riding this bike, I have grown to like it. People really notice me, becasue that damn thing is bouncing all over the place. For instance, if you see a vehicle coming towards you with a loose headlight, you notice them rigth away, and it may be a mile down the road. So, I guess I am going to leave my rubber mounted headlight right where it is.
Yup Im with you on this... the more attention you can draw the better off you are. I run one on mine, and they do get cagers attention. I have had people in front of me pull over when they see me approaching from behind so I know it works in getting their attention. Many great ideas in this thread to help enlighten ourselves.

Im a firm believer in anything to attract attention.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGeek
I have the same headlight setup and found the same. Definately gets noticed more than a solid constant light, especially if you are in front of a car that has steady lights. I've seen modulators on the road but they really don't grab your attention like the flickering of the rubber mounted headlamp. This, and all the good advice above has worked so far. All I can add is be extra carefull when the sun is low and at your back. This makes you more invisible to cagers with glare in the windshield. At least that's what the cager said when she turned left in front of me back in the 70s.
Ron

Old 07-17-2009, 08:20 AM
doorsidedown
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by Nonstop
Always keep your head up..

Make eye contact...its a must, that way you know they see you..well... hopefully they see you, or at least you'll see that they don't see you.

Seems like everyone is on the damn phone now a days.
+1 to that... put some loud pipes on. be safe.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM
rockDAWG
Road Captain

Can someone post a pic of their rubber mounted headlight? I would like to do this mod this weekend.

Quick Reply: Avoiding being killed by a left turning cager?