General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Champion Reverse Gear 98 RK EVO 5 Spd

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM
floridaboston
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Champion Reverse Gear 98 RK EVO 5 Spd

Anyone familar with Champion's Reverse Gear? I have it installed on my 98 Harley Road King 5 Spd Trike (by Motor Trike) with a 1340 EVO??? I love it and I've had one on my trike for the past four years then all of a sudden I lost my clutch (I was lucky, I was coming out of my own driveway). I thought the clutch cable snapped so I replaced it only to find it was OK but I changed it anyway. In opening the clutch cover plate, I discovered the Bearing Lock Nut on the Main Shaft Gear (Small Gear) for the Champion Reverse trap door became loose and the Nylon set screws were missing. The c-clip on the throw out bearing was also missing.
I replaced the c-clip and tightened up the Bearing Lock Nut (60 lbs.) with new nylon set screws and loctite.
Now the tranny shifts fine in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear but I cannot get it to shift into 4th or 5th gear.
I don't remember shifting the bike in 1st gear with it still in the reverse mode but maybe I did? Who knows at this point? I was told the Tapered Split Ring might have shifted out of place and should be replaced to get 4th and 5th gear....anyone had this experience? I can use your help here in the Boston area....thanks in advance!!!