General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet head itch, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:28 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

dr plastic, the frontline and advantix might work, collar type of course. as long as i don't gotta wear one of those goofy cones that keeps ya from lickin yourself. i had to laff at that one. thanks man. hey guys, a lot of great suggestions. i am going to try most all of them. this has been an issue for the past few years which is very annoying. i'm happy to have recieved all the positive suggestions. thanks again. actually the dove has moisturizer in it, that's probably what is helping there. and the nylon skull cap also is great, i have tried a do rag, and it wicks moisture away. i've also tried the scalpicin scalp itch medication. made it a whole lot worse, as it dried out the scalp. good suggestions, thanks folks.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:53 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a do rag under my helmet and it makes a huge difference. It's very easy to rinse out and dry, much easier than taking the liner out of the helmet and cleaning it. Here in Florida my helmet liner used to get cleaned two or three times a week because it was starting to smell, with the do rag maybe every month and half.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Trojan63
Cruiser

I think a good synthetic like amsoil will solve the problem for sure.....

Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Trojan63
I think a good synthetic like amsoil will solve the problem for sure.....
My great Granddad had the same problem and he told me he would soak his head in diesel fuel for 10 minutes then dry with a towel made from cotton from Texas. He said it was the only thing that would do it for him. However that was back in the day when they wore leather helmets so it could have been the combination of the different materials.

He did say that it did put a cramp in his ability to pick up women. He met Grandma at the gas station one day buying the diesel fuel. She was so impressed with his intelligence on things like this that she jumped on the bike and they rode straight to Vegas and got married. I don't think Great Grandma Gertrude ever quite got used to the smell but they stayed married for quite sometime til she met a truck driver down at the station that wore pantyhose and a kilt. He said it kept him from getting chafed between his legs on long hot trips. She apparently thought this guy was smarter than Grandpa. Sorry for the ramblin. T.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear a doo rag. They're not just to make u look cool. They have a purpose. Like someone already said. Much easier to wash than taking liner out after a ride.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 AM
RoadKingLou
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash your hair! LoL.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:51 PM
MajorUltra
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimsflh
+1 .....works good on your nether region too, may want to have seperate bags though! LOL
I usually use the same one, especially if I'm the only using the bag, since my OL says I don't know one end from the other anyhow LOL

Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the first things is wash that helmet or find a trash can. It's time for a new helmet.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quit sleeping with dogs and crabby women.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i went to my local welding store and bought a welding cap. i like the kind with a visor. turn it backwards when it's under the helmet. wear it like a regular hat when your not riding to keep the sun out of your eyes. i think it was about $8.

Quick Reply: Helmet head itch, any ideas?