General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrying lots of luggage on a bike. How to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkchriston
Why such a small cooler
When your 10 miles down a dirt road and another 20 miles from
the nearest town, and your gonna be at camp for three days, ya
gotta eat! And I like bacon & eggs and coffee for breakfast and
some kind of meat for supper.
The cooler messes up the whole load I know. But it
works. Going home the cooler is always nearly empty.

Here's another pic from a different trip.
With this load the bike and I go over the continental divide no problem.
(The license plate is visible straight on from the rear).

Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When your 10 miles down a dirt road and another 20 miles from
the nearest town, and your gonna be at camp for three days, ya
gotta eat! And I like bacon & eggs and coffee for breakfast and
some kind of meat for supper.
The cooler messes up the whole load I know. But it
works. Going home the cooler is always nearly empty.
Looks like Hagger digs camping as much as I do!

Indeed, many of the places I've camped doesn't have a place to buy provisions until the next town-which can be a few miles or a few dozen miles. So packing the stuff you need is essential.

Waking up and having hot coffee or tea and breakfast cannot be overstated. Most of the time you camp, it's in the mountains or higher elevation so it's going to be cool, cold or really cold in the morning. A warm meal and hot beverage soon after waking is one of life's simple pleasures. No riding all over yonder in the cold weather just to get breakfast in the morning.

The key is to pack efficiently and organized. My wife rides her own bike so I pack almost everything on my Roadking except the cooler with food.

What I take every trip:

large tent (6'x9') 78" high
two portable chairs
two serapes
two inflatable matresses or mats
two sleeping bags
two pillows
Coleman stove w/extra propane tank
pot, pan, cups, silverware, cooking utensils
extra clothes including leather jackets, vests
personal items and sundries
travel humidor of good cigars

Firewood and water was bought about 30 miles outside camping area.

Food packed is eggs, bacon or sausage, canned soup or canned chili (or homemade), beef jerky, salt and pepper, hotdogs, steaks, burgers, snacks, wine or beer and other items.

Last edited by AZ Rider; 05-27-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: broken links
Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, I thought I carried lots of stuff when I go camping, but you folks have me beat by a lot. I choose to just carry a jet boil stove w/ coffee press, coffee and some oatmeal for the morning. It could just be a hike a lot so most of my camping gear is designed to be light and small.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an Alaskan surveyor, I've HAD to camp out way too many times - so now I hate it. I'm looking for a motel every time. BUT, life is interesting because everyone has a different idea of what they like. I can definitely hoist a cold one to those who haul enough stuff around for camping with comfort. Salud!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM
kwb377
Tourer

Originally Posted by will2002
Reduce size of load or increase size of bike.
Don't need no bigger bike!

I have a tendency to bring too much crap with me...

Bike Week trip '06 on the VFR...

I did a little better the next year...

Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
Looks like Hagger digs camping as much as I do!

Indeed, many of the places I've camped doesn't have a place to buy provisions until the next town-which can be a few miles or a few dozen miles. So packing the stuff you need is essential. < I will sometimes pitch camp in the middle of nowhere, a quarter mile off the main dirt road and stay there for 3 days. No going for food. There's a pump about 7 miles from camp. I could take the truck but that's no fun.>

Waking up and having hot coffee or tea and breakfast cannot be overstated. Most of the time you camp, it's in the mountains or higher elevation so it's going to be cool, cold or really cold in the morning. A warm meal and hot beverage soon after waking is one of life's, < Necessities > simple pleasures. No riding all over yonder in the cold weather just to get breakfast in the morning. < Or lunch or dinner. >

The key is to pack efficiently and organized. My wife rides her own bike so I pack almost everything on my Roadking except the cooler with food. < I gotta get me one'a them cooler carrying thing'a'ma'bobs. >
Originally Posted by overhead
Man, I thought I carried lots of stuff when I go camping, but you folks have me beat by a lot. I choose to just carry a jet boil stove w/ coffee press, coffee and some oatmeal for the morning. It could just be a hike a lot so most of my camping gear is designed to be light and small.
If I did that I wouldn't be eating until next morning. I carry a one burner stove and one full propane bottle, a small pan, a folding skillet, spatula, paper towels and coffee filter and funnel. Make coffee right into the thermos. And of course two sleeping bags and pads, a tent, water jug and camel back bag. Extra pair of pants, jacket for both of us extra sox, rain gear. I think that's about it.

Originally Posted by AK97fxdwg
As an Alaskan surveyor, I've HAD to camp out way too many times - so now I hate it. I'm looking for a motel every time. BUT, life is interesting because everyone has a different idea of what they like. I can definitely hoist a cold one to those who haul enough stuff around for camping with comfort. Salud!
I have spent entire summers living out of a tent. Never got tired of it. I just like being a part of the elements. Guess that's just me. But I didn't have to do it. If I did I might hate it too. Especially if there were hordes of giant mosquitos trying to suck me dry. Am getting older so don't go out like that anymore. But still enjoy going for a few days.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AK97fxdwg - I'm with you, brother. I camped enough, old school, the hard way, back when I was in the army. Luxury was a rubber tarp with two sticks. I put in my time.

SCREW THAT. "Roughing it" for me nowadays is a motel with no A/C and no coffee maker.

I like a hot shower, clean sheets, and a flush toilet at the end of the day.

The thing I find with the Ultra - I've only had a touring bike for a year now, is that I have more room than I'm used to. Usually, if I go away for a week or two, and I'm by myself, my luggage rack and one saddlebag is empty. Which isn't a bad thing - I have somewhere easy to store my leathers if the weather gets hot, or if I see something I like that I want to buy. I'm not used to being able to bring more than two changes of clothes!

Cannon

Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
scoobysal
Intermediate

I have 2 panniers, a windshield bag, a tour pak, a Hd roll bag and a kuryakyn tour bag. The meds and little bits and bobs go in the hd roll bag. It came with a torch, thermal blanket, jiffy stand, leatherman etc. i put string, rubbber bands, tea and coffee sachets, cloths, wipes, toilet tissue, sunscreen etc in there. it sits behind my rider backrest on top of the tent ground sheet. i have inner bags for my panniers and i put rolled up clothes in there with trainers in the void you can never fit anything into. the tour pak gets all the compulsary stuff needed for Europian travel and campin bits and bobs. The kuryakyn bag is brand new and will be used as the overnight ferry bag, 2 nights onboard and no access to bike then. Not going to take half the stuff i had last year, it doessnt get used, half the time you wear your bike gear anyhow. T shirts, knickers, bras and socks and 1 fleece, pair of cargo pants, pair of shorts, pair of sandals.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM
scoobysal
Intermediate

wicked pic of the loaded up heritage, bet you get some looks with that, good on ya.