General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor mans bike lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
streetg7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turn the blocks the other way....holes facing up....alot safer!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crashin
could also try something like this.

http://www.sportster.org/tech/rickko-lift/

I know that is the Sportster site, but it should work with othe models as well.

I built and used one of those on my '03 Heritage before I broke down and bought a Sears lift. Worked great.
Ratkiller

Old 08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
skully_68
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahhh good idea some times ya just got to do what ya got to do

Old 08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
captain m
Road Master

Good job with the blocks! We had a guy up here who used to hang his bike from the rafters in his garage with a come-a-long to work on it.He never tied it down and used to have to chase it down to work on it !!!!!....It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round !!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me throw in the Scroogeomatic patent pending bike tie down and lift system. Call now--operators are standing by!

Take a hammer drill and drill two holes about 5 feet apart in your concrete slab garage floor. Put in concrete anchors that will accept 5/16" eyebolts. With the eyebolts securely anchored in the floor, use tie downs to hold the bike and an ordinary Wallyworld automobile floor jack to raise either end of the bike. It's as stable as the rock of Gibraltar.

When not in use, take out the eyebolts so people aren't tripping over them and put in "set screws" flush with the floor to keep the dirt out of the anchors. I used ordinary 5/16" bolts with the heads sawed off and screwdriver slots cut in their place. If you move, just fill the holes with Porrock and start over at your new residence.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
angelis
Cruiser

A word of caution to Scrooge's post, DO NOT drill into the concrete if you have a tensioned slab, if you were to hit one of the tensioned cables, you would be luck to survive it breaking and whipping out of the concrete.

Here in AZ almost all homes are built on a tensioned slab (no footer, just a floating slab). Drilling, cutting into these slabs is a bad idea.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Dcomdoc
Stage IV

Bump on turning the blocks and the fear of hitting a tension line will keep me from even thinking about drilling.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
houndawgg
Tourer

Safety is the main consideration. While it worked for you this time, I feel it's a matter of time before the bike will tip over. Hopefully, you won't get injured, if/when, it does.
The Sears type ATV/bike jack is $120 and much safer. It will pay for itself, many times over, for you to do your own maintenance, but most of all, if used correctly, will save injury/death.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crashin
could also try something like this.

http://www.sportster.org/tech/rickko-lift/

I know that is the Sportster site, but it should work with othe models as well.
+1. I built that 10 years ago and it still works great.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by houndawgg
Safety is the main consideration. While it worked for you this time, I feel it's a matter of time before the bike will tip over. Hopefully, you won't get injured, if/when, it does.
The Sears type ATV/bike jack is $120 and much safer. It will pay for itself, many times over, for you to do your own maintenance, but most of all, if used correctly, will save injury/death.

I have one of the Sears jacks and frankly I think the cinder blocks would be more stale at times. That thing tweaks and twists a bit when you crank on a bolt or nut. Also, the rails are a bit slippery and even with the skateboard tape on there it can move. As to "injury/death", I'm just not seeing that one. Worst case is the block crumbles, the bike teetres and you jump out of the way. It isn't like a car where you are laying completely underneath it. I would bet there are very few significant injuries or deaths related to motorcycles falling on someone.

I like simple solution and with the blocks vertical the weight is distributed well and the bike stable. Next time I am changing a stator and have to really crank on the compensating nut I'll be using this system.

Quick Reply: Poor mans bike lift