General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why you do not text while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
MaximusD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregski
I remember when I went thru driver's ed in high school (many moons ago), they always showed a gruesome video. Some of the girls in class would even puke because it was so graphic. What ever happened to those days?
Ohio State Patrol had several films of real accidents. Had to see them in driver's ed. They all did a good job of acting in this film, seemed very realistic, but I'm not in the rescue business.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
The Gent
Stage II

Was that directed by Quentin Tarantino, lol. Kinda reminded me of Deathproof.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 PM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

My daughter and her best friend were killed in February - they were just 16. I envision the accident very much like what was depicted here. I don't think she was texting, she lissed a stop sign that is a bit tough to see. I honestly couldn't watch the whole video. Both of the girls were killed immediately as we had a firend on the scene within minutes. We got there after about 5 minutes and the girls were being put into the ambulance. It's been a tough 6 months. My other daughter just got her permit this summer and my wife is scared to death. Me, not so much. She is a very alert and aware girl. Much more in control than my first who's greatest attribute was her huge heart.

In any case, I think it is definitely worth showing, but I probably will not show it to my daughter as it is too much like what happened to her sister.

Hug your family - accidents happen all the time, even when not texting. Some accidents you get a do-over, and some you just plain don't.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Live2ride247
Cruiser

Junk,
here's to you my friend. Sorry for your loss.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 PM
GWHT
Novice

Originally Posted by mjunk1
My daughter and her best friend were killed in February - they were just 16. I envision the accident very much like what was depicted here. I don't think she was texting, she lissed a stop sign that is a bit tough to see. I honestly couldn't watch the whole video. Both of the girls were killed immediately as we had a firend on the scene within minutes. We got there after about 5 minutes and the girls were being put into the ambulance. It's been a tough 6 months. My other daughter just got her permit this summer and my wife is scared to death. Me, not so much. She is a very alert and aware girl. Much more in control than my first who's greatest attribute was her huge heart.

In any case, I think it is definitely worth showing, but I probably will not show it to my daughter as it is too much like what happened to her sister.

Hug your family - accidents happen all the time, even when not texting. Some accidents you get a do-over, and some you just plain don't.
Sorry for your loss. Reading your post brought a ear to my eyes. Prayers, hugs, and thoughts to your family.
My 17 year old daughters best friend has been in 3 accidents in a year. One while texting, thankfully she ran into a ditch and no one got hurt, she was by herself. The other two, my daughter was with her, she rear ended someone (not texting just a space cadet). Needless to say my daughter will not be riding with her anymore. Luckily they only had bumps and bruises.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes mjunk, I too am sorry for your loss. I went to a friend's daughter's funeral last week...she was lost in a vehicle crash too. I cannot imagine such a thing. My oldest son has crashed a couple of times and I think he has learned a lot from those experiences. He is a good,responsible driver largely because of them. I agree with the hug part also...none of us is guaranteed tomorrow.