General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amsoil oil change interval Anyone? 25,000 miles??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
I followed the advice of several threads in the "oil" section and purchased Amsoil for my 2004 Heritage Softail. Since I have an account at the store, I just signed the receipt and left. When I got home I noticed I had been charged $99 for 6 quarts of OIL!!! 4 Amsoil 20w-50, 1 10w-40, and one 90w-140 Synthetic gear lube. When I questioned the salesman I was told that Amsoil recommends a 25,000 mile interval between changes on his diesel and no doubt it would last that long in a motorcycle. So, question is...how often do you change Amsoil synthetic oil? At $22.50/qt., I'm pretty sure it is good for more than the requisite 5,000 miles.
I change the filter at 4000 or 5000. And top off with oil. Then at 8000 to 10,000 I change oil and filter. You did get ripped off. Here in Waco I get it from a Amsoil Dealer, Doyle Ware, for $7.55 a qt. for 20-50 V-Twin oil. Anyone can become a dealer for about $30.00 a year. I don't know where you deal but I think you can find a better place.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 AM
Spartacus55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dudu one of the guys on this forum gave us his dealer # to use so you don't even have to pay for so you don't even have to pay the fee the # is 1244026 now you can send me the fee lol.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

I pay $175 for my dealer to change HD Synthetic Oil in engine, primary and tranny every 4,000 miles. Worry-free is what I like the most and knowing that my bike's well taken care of. I'm sorry to say that you're screwed when it came to that price of $99. Synthetic Oil is Synthetic Oil, Plain and Simple.

My money well spent,

Thorey

Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yikes, I think $99 is a rip off but paying $175 for the dealer to change it is even more of a rip off, especially when your 09 should only need the primary fluid changed every 10,000 miles and the tranny fluid every 20,000 miles.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I got a case of 20W-50, 3 quarts each of ATF & gear lube, 2 quarts of fork oil, 3 filters and a filter wrench from my Amsoil guy for $225. Placed the order on a Friday, the stuff was sitting on my front porch Monday afternoon. Easier and cheaper than finding the stuff locally.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles, the primary and transmission every 10,000 miles.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Yikes, I think $99 is a rip off but paying $175 for the dealer to change it is even more of a rip off, especially when your 09 should only need the primary fluid changed every 10,000 miles and the tranny fluid every 20,000 miles.
Not a rip-off in my case...I got the money to spend so I'm smiling all the way. Problem appears on my bike as you know who I can point my fingers to. My dealer/mechanic takes a real good care of me right from the beginning to end.

Happy-to-Go Guy,

Thorey

Old 09-17-2009, 07:34 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I hope he takes good care of you after charging that much for an oil change, especially when he knows 2 of the fluids are not even needing changed at those intervals. Take a glance at your owners manual.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
I pay $175 for my dealer to change HD Synthetic Oil in engine, primary and tranny every 4,000 miles. Worry-free is what I like the most and knowing that my bike's well taken care of. I'm sorry to say that you're screwed when it came to that price of $99. Synthetic Oil is Synthetic Oil, Plain and Simple.

My money well spent,

Thorey
Synthetic oils are not all alike. The Harley SYN3 is not a full synthetic. It is a synthetic blend. I have a oil temp gauge installed in my 01 ultra classic. I tried SYN3 on a trip to Sturgis and the oil temp got to 280 degrees. The next year I put Amsoil in and the oil temp never got past 240 degrees. Anyone who's been to sturgis knows the temps out there can get over 100 degrees.
Heat is a air cooled engins worst enemy. Thats why I have oil coolers on 3 of my 4 bikes ( got to keep the Duo Glide original) If you trade in your bike evey few years, Don't worry too much about oil. But if you plan on keeping your bike for 5 or 10 years, I'd use the best oil money can buy.
I had my TC88 on my 01 ultra classic redone at 74,000 miles with a big bore kit, screaming eagel heads and gear drive cams. It ran fine at the time and never had any problems. It now has 117,000 miles on it and runs great.
Once I found out that all Harley oils are made by Citgo, I stopped buying it. I don't want my money going to Hugo Chavez to help him build his military to kill americans. But thats just my opinion

Old 09-17-2009, 10:47 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
and that is one reason why no matter how good people say it is, i will never use amsoil......

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am an Amsoil Dealer and below is copy of the specifications of the Oil. I bolded in red the service life information. As far as retail pricing is concerned a quart of Motorcycle oil is $10.70 and a gallon is $42.15. Filters are roughly $16 - $18 depending on the filter.

SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)
High Performance Lubricant for Engines, Transmissions and Primary Chaincases
API SG, SL/CF, CG-4; JASO MA/MA2; ISO-L-EMA2; API GL-1

See Pricing Information or Place an Order
Package sizes include:

1-Quart Bottle
1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
1-Gallon Bottle
1-Gallon Bottles (case of 4)
30-Gallon Drum
55-Gallon Drum

AMSOIL Recommended Oils For Harley Davidson Motorcycles

G2156 - Motorcycle Oils White Paper (1MB PDF)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil (MCV) is a premium oil designed for those who demand the absolute best lubrication for their motorcycles. AMSOIL MCV is the result of extensive research, and it is specially formulated to excel in all areas unique to motorcycles, including high temperatures of air-cooled engines such as Harley Davidson® V-Twin, wet clutch lubrication, extreme pressure regions of gears and chains and rust common to short trips and storage.

AMSOIL MCV is multi-functional and fulfills the requirements of both domestic and foreign motorcycles. It outperforms other conventional and synthetic motorcycle oil.

AMSOIL, the leader in synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your motorcycle.

Reduces Friction, Heat and Wear
In high heat conditions, engine protection is not sacrificed with AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. It has exceptional
high-temperature film strength and contains a heavy treatment of anti-wear additives to reduce wear regardless of the
operating conditions. AMSOIL 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is thermally (heat) stable and contains maximum levels of oxidation inhibitor additives. It is extremely resistant to breakdown and engineered to prevent damaging sludge and
carbon de-posits for superior engine cleanliness.

Provides Extreme Pressure Quality Protection for Gears and Chains
With AMSOIL MCV, there is no need for separate transmission or primary chaincase lubricants. It is absolutely shear stable and will not thin out from mechanical activity. AMSOIL MCV performs like a gear lube without the negative effects of extreme pressure additives. In the FZG gear test, AMSOIL MCV achieved a perfect score with a “zero” wear rating (see photo below).

FZG Gear Test (ASTM D-5182)
Pass Example: AMSOIL MCV
Passed Stage 13, Total Wear 0 mm
Failure Example: Lucas High Performance
Passed Stage 11, Failed Stage 12,
Total Wear in Stage 12, 160 mm

Delivers Superior Rust Protection
Motorcycles are prone to rust from storage, humidity and short drives. Rust can cause major damage such as roller bearing failure, uncontrolled wear, compression loss and blow-by. Good rust protection, however, comes by design and is not natural to engine oils. Unlike many motorcycle oils, AMSOIL MCV contains special anti-rust agents. It passes the ASTM D-1748 humidity cabinet rust test and clearly demonstrates superior rust protection (see photos below).

Rust Test ASTM D-1748
Pass Example:
AMSOIL MCV
Fail Example
Castrol V-Twin

Provides Excellent Wet Clutch Performance
AMSOIL MCV contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCV controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, and its high TBN resists acids that can degrade clutch material, helping improve clutch life.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is recommended for air or liquid cooled 4-stroke engines. It meets SAE 90, API GL-1 gear oil requirements and is recommended for transmissions and primary chaincases. AMSOIL MCV is recommended for Harley Davidson®, Buell®, KTM, Ducati®, Aprilia®, BMW®, Triumph® and other motorcycles where 15W-50 or 20W-50 engine oils or SAE 90, GL-1 gear oils are used. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50 Motorcycle Oil is compatible with conventional and synthetic motor oils; however, mixing oils may shorten the oil life expectancy and reduce the performance benefits. AMSOIL does not support extended drain intervals where oils have been mixed.

Aftermarket oil additives are not recommended for use with AMSOIL motorcycle oil.

SERVICE LIFE
Recommended for use up to twice the motorcycle manufacturer change interval (miles/hours) or one year, whichever comes first, in engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. For Big Twin Harley-Davidson transmissions only, follow the Harley-Davidson recommended drain interval for synthetic oil of up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. When using an engine filter other than AMSOIL Ea, change the filter at standard intervals.

For off-road use, change AMSOIL MCV at motorcycle manufacturer intervals.

Racing or modified engines are excluded from extended drain interval recommendations. Oil changes are at the owner’s discretion.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES

SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)

-39 (-38)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 240 (464)
High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity @ 150°C , 1.0 x 106 s-1 (ASTM D 4683), cP 6.02
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172 @ 40 kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hour), Scar in mm 0.37
FZG (ASTM D-5182), Load Stage Pass (Wear in mm) 13 (0mm)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)

Foam (ASTM D-892, Sequence I, II & III) 0/0/0
Shear Stability Kurt Orbahn (ASTM D-6278), % viscosity change 120 cycles 0.25
Rust Test - Humidity Cabinet (ASTM D-1748) No Rust, Pass
Total Base Number

Last edited by redling36; 09-17-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Amsoil oil change interval Anyone? 25,000 miles??