General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:33 AM
Bubbat
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first helmet was a Bell 120 full face in the early 70's. racing MX when only a few people did. Didn't worry about what people thought it looked like then, don't care what people think it looks like wearing a FF riding a Harley now 52yrs later.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:30 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Montag
Thanks for the input, Shaved Ice. When I was stationed in Europe I was told by a guy worked for the ECE, European version of DOT, that materials degrade over time and that I should never buy a used helmet, and buy a certified one every 3 to 5 years if only to keep up with improved manufacturing and certification standards.

I don't know if that is necessary, but it's something to think about. I don't wear my full face enough to wear it out, but I guess I should.
It applies to hard hats. They have an expiration date.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbat
My first helmet was a Bell 120 full face in the early 70's. racing MX when only a few people did. Didn't worry about what people thought it looked like then, don't care what people think it looks like wearing a FF riding a Harley now 52yrs later.
Bell Star 120. Second from left. Still has SCCA medical information dated 1974 on the back. Seen a lot of four wheeled track time. After all these years still my only FF.

Last edited by Sierra977; 04-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:33 AM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingface
I used to wear a full face but I went to a 3/4 for longer rides and a half around town because the added visibility makes me feel a bit safer. The FF made me a bit too claustrophobic. I know people will say "You didn't find the right FF" but I really did try about as many as humanly possible and I just didn't like it. I'm not one of those "I wear a 1/2 helmet because I like the freedom and the feel of the wind" kind of guys......it honestly is just a personal preference thing.
Yes, personal preference.
Personally, I stopped wearing ff not only because of the claustrophobic feeling, but also the echo chamber, fog problems, and it felt like an extra head on my head. The end of it though was a specific event where my constant head turning looking out for escape routes barely caught sight of a car hurdling through cross traffic to my spot. A better view counts. I see some now better than others but I'm fine.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,010 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by eleutheros
Yes, personal preference.
Personally, I stopped wearing ff not only because of the claustrophobic feeling, but also the echo chamber, fog problems, and it felt like an extra head on my head. The end of it though was a specific event where my constant head turning looking out for escape routes barely caught sight of a car hurdling through cross traffic to my spot. A better view counts. I see some now better than others but I'm fine.
I posted about this over on another sub-forum, but DOT and ECE standards stipulate helmet viewports of 210 degrees from side to side. The absolute best set of eyes can only see 200 degrees laterally. So compliant full-face and modular helmets do not restrict your field of vision.

Your reasons for not wearing a full-face are yours and valid, but the facts are they don't restrict peripheral vision. It's an old myth.

The following users liked this post:
drcollie (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:01 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

It's good to have choices:

Choice A:

Choice B:

The following 3 users liked this post by drcollie:
Advocatus Diaboli (04-29-2018), Geoff (05-01-2018), Torky_SOB (04-30-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 06:50 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I think you should let those who ride the side I love not wearing a helmet 😆 being in California though its mandatory On the other side of the coin I did just spend a $1000 on a shoei neotec2 with the new sena SRL system because my shoei multitec is done worn out, both are white And when riding through the heat it definitely keep you cooler than no helmet at all

Old 04-29-2018, 09:16 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark out West
I posted about this over on another sub-forum, but DOT and ECE standards stipulate helmet viewports of 210 degrees from side to side. The absolute best set of eyes can only see 200 degrees laterally. So compliant full-face and modular helmets do not restrict your field of vision.

Your reasons for not wearing a full-face are yours and valid, but the facts are they don't restrict peripheral vision. It's an old myth.
If this were true, you wouldn't be able to see the lip of your full face helmet in any direction. Simple fact is, you can.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,010 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by TeaRunner
If this were true, you wouldn't be able to see the lip of your full face helmet in any direction. Simple fact is, you can.
I just donned my Schuberth C3 Pro modular, place a finger on both horizontal edges of the viewport, stared straight ahead, and couldn't see the fingertip on either side using my peripheral vision. The "simple fact" is the DOT/ECE vision standard works as written.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:15 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark out West
I just donned my Schuberth C3 Pro modular, place a finger on both horizontal edges of the viewport, stared straight ahead, and couldn't see the fingertip on either side using my peripheral vision. The "simple fact" is the DOT/ECE vision standard works as written.

Straight ahead? Why would you stop there?

I said in any direction. Roll those eyes all around. Your periphal moves with your eyes.

Last edited by TeaRunner; 04-29-2018 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eleutheros (05-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?