General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I've been thinking of switching to a modular helmet to replace my 3/4. I know a "true" full face would be the best but a modular has to help some. I tried on a Shark Evo One at the Cleveland show that I liked. Plus, I wouldn't have to pack a full face for long trips when it rains.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,746 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes145
I've been thinking of switching to a modular helmet to replace my 3/4. I know a "true" full face would be the best but a modular has to help some. I tried on a Shark Evo One at the Cleveland show that I liked. Plus, I wouldn't have to pack a full face for long trips when it rains.
Ive thought about modular too but some seem pretty flimsy when you flex them by hand. Better than open face for sure but I do wonder if that movable piece would just move out of the way under certain circumstances. The latch system would be my biggest concern.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:50 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

Yup. I've had a few helmets with very similar rashes. No way Im riding without my ff. Im a big Shoei fan.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:18 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,889 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Ive thought about modular too but some seem pretty flimsy when you flex them by hand. Better than open face for sure but I do wonder if that movable piece would just move out of the way under certain circumstances. The latch system would be my biggest concern.

It concerns me too. I'd like to wear something other than a half or 3/4 helmet in the hottest parts of the summer but I just can't. Every FF helmet I've tried doesn't have sufficient ventilation. If I wear a FF in 90 degree weather after a short period of time I feel lightheaded and my head is covered in sweat. What good is having superior protection in the event of a crash if it's going to increase your chances of crashing in the first place?

At first glance the modulars look like they might be a solution, but I'm going to have to do more research on them.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 PM
Coverdog
Tourer

Received 156 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
It concerns me too. I'd like to wear something other than a half or 3/4 helmet in the hottest parts of the summer but I just can't. Every FF helmet I've tried doesn't have sufficient ventilation. If I wear a FF in 90 degree weather after a short period of time I feel lightheaded and my head is covered in sweat. What good is having superior protection in the event of a crash if it's going to increase your chances of crashing in the first place?

At first glance the modulars look like they might be a solution, but I'm going to have to do more research on them.
You need to get one that has good airflow. I’ve worn mine plenty in 90 degree weather and was comfortable as long as I was moving. When stopped or slow going I crack open the shield. Mine flows plenty of air, but they are all different.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I do FF in cold weather and on longer (100+ miles) interstate trips. Short trips and around town in wear 1/2 helmet, especially in summer.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Get a Shoei Neotec 2 - #1 It's a Shoei!

Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,016 Likes on 2,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix!
Seriously? I've worn a FF helmet on my Heritage Classic and I've worn it on my chopper if it's cold out. The helmet doesn't know one bike from another so it'll still protect you.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:24 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Old enough here to not care what others think, BTW I wear a full face helmet.

The following users liked this post:
Jehu (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:47 AM
K. Lindberg
Road Captain
Received 366 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Shoei Hornet DS

I’m on my second Shoei Hornet DS.
Ventilation works.
Enough space in front of my face not to make me feel cramped.

Looks? I actually think that a FF helmet improves my looks...

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?