General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've about given up on Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I'd like to get my hands on that deuschbag rep, "Ride in a manner which doesn't require opening the throttle all the way" is like telling you to screw in a manner that doesn't involve full penetration. (Which is probably because that's what he tells his boyfriend when he's getting his fudge packed) If the dealer knows it's wrong, take it back to them and ask the owner to fix it on his dime, or give you another bike/money back/significant trade in value. Just plain pisses me off to see a loyal customer spend hard earned money on a product and get **** on!!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or, if you are financing with HD leave the bike at the dealer and stop making payments.
I knew a guy tried that with a "new" car that had the tranny fail. Claimed he did not want a car with a rebuilt tranny because he paid for a new car. After they repo'd it, he STILL owed money (depreciation).

Whatever happens, keep the payments up.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go get a T-shirt printed " My bikes a lemmon ask me". Park it in your front yard with same type of large sign. Call the local news trouble shooters. Idont know where you live but they can be areal pain in the *** around here. I had a Lincoln back in 89 that had problems with the air ride suspension. they kept playing that kind of game on me. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I drove to Dearborn with Lemmon writen on both sides I large letters in wax. Parked in front of the world headquarters. Told them next off to the local news stations. I got FAST results from them after that. Harley has a real fu**ed up attitude If that does not work I would run it HARD untill it lets loose.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BB4xl
Go get a T-shirt printed " My bikes a lemmon ask me". Park it in your front yard with same type of large sign. Call the local news trouble shooters. Idont know where you live but they can be areal pain in the *** around here. I had a Lincoln back in 89 that had problems with the air ride suspension. they kept playing that kind of game on me. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I drove to Dearborn with Lemmon writen on both sides I large letters in wax. Parked in front of the world headquarters. Told them next off to the local news stations. I got FAST results from them after that. Harley has a real fu**ed up attitude If that does not work I would run it HARD untill it lets loose.
I'd spell "lemon" correctly though...it would be far less embarrassing and boost credibility!

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,228 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Harley's are like women..If you abuse them they will eventually leave you.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Metric Krusty
As my username suggests, I am the owner of several metric bikes, and I've ridden for many years. I'm not here to bash HD (I've had mechanical failures in every one of the metrics at one time or another, because I ride alot). In fact I'm seriously thinking of adding a dyna super glide to the stable. Are these stories of HD Motorcycle Company's lack of concern about warranty common, or the exception? Just want to get a balanced view before I plunk down the money (the local dealer is considered to be one of the top in terms of customer satisfaction).
With more than 107,000 forum members I think you can expect to hear some horror stories. I think it is more the exception than the rule. My dealer has bent over backwards for me and always succeded with the MoCo.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
With more than 107,000 forum members I think you can expect to hear some horror stories. I think it is more the exception than the rule. My dealer has bent over backwards for me and always succeded with the MoCo.
I couldn't say it any better, so I won't even try.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
HDSmith
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

snuffer, I was at exactly the same point with my 07 FXD about a year ago. This is my first Harley and I am no expert on this, but now mine does not ping. The MoCo ships all their products tuned very lean. The tune files on the SEST (SERT in my case) are tuned very lean also. My SE tune file off the SERT disk for my pipes and AC was still too lean, pinged exactly as you described. When the dealer dyno’d your bike, he probably measured the AFR and simply confirmed it is to factory spec which is way too lean. To stop the pinging you have to enrich the AFR, assuming no major mechanical problems as many have advised in this thread. Your dealer may not help you with this if they stick to the MoCo party line on lean AFR. Search the forum for enrich AFR, there are many outstanding threads on the topic. You might consider finding an indy that will tune to lower the AFR specifically for pinging, or swap to an aftermarket ECM. Do some research and take matters in your own hands. There is no reason for your Harley to ping.

Last edited by HDSmith; 10-15-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: eye chart font size :)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:48 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSmith
snuffer, I was at exactly the same point with my 07 FXD about a year ago. This is my first Harley and I am no expert on this, but now mine does not ping. The MoCo ships all their products tuned very lean. The tune files on the SEST (SERT in my case) are tuned very lean also. My SE tune file off the SERT disk for my pipes and AC was still too lean, pinged exactly as you described. When the dealer dyno’d your bike, he probably measured the AFR and simply confirmed it is to factory spec which is way too lean. To stop the pinging you have to enrich the AFR, assuming no major mechanical problems as many have advised in this thread. Your dealer may not help you with this if they stick to the MoCo party line on lean AFR. Search the forum for enrich AFR, there are many outstanding threads on the topic. You might consider finding an indy that will tune to lower the AFR specifically for pinging, or swap to an aftermarket ECM. Do some research and take matters in your own hands. There is no reason for your Harley to ping.
can you make that a little smaller font. I am having a hard time reading it with a magnifying glass.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
snuffer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HDSmith
During the Dyno-tune, the dealer set the AFR at WOT to 13/1. I now stock is 14.7/1 but I'm not sure if that is at WOT or not.

Quick Reply: I've about given up on Harley