General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've about given up on Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
snuffer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've about given up on Harley

I have an 08 Fat Bob. At about 5000 miles it started making a sound like BB's bouncing around in the engine when I cracked the throttle, any gear any RPM, whenever I cracked the throttle wide open. There is no fall off in power when it occurs. The dealer thought it might be pinging so I had a SEST installed, had the A/F mixture enriched and had the bike dyno-tuned. Didn't make any difference. Dealer had it in his shop for over 3 weeks (he checked chain tensioner, checked for exhaust leaks, retarded the timing twice, removed heat shields, ran octane booster in gas) and still couldn't fix it. I've ran this bike in temps from 40-80 degrees F, still does it consistently when I crack the throttle. I tried drilling another vent in gas cap liner, put stock pipes back on, checked for intake manifold leaks with propane, still does it. Incidentally, the bike has a HD oil cooler on it since new and I run synthetic oil.

Anyway, a MOCO factory rep was at my dealer, he took my bike for a ride and heard the noise, he said it was normal and that I shouldn't ride my bike in a way that requires cracking the throttle wide open. My dealer agrees with me that it's a problem and not normal. But, since the factory rep said it's normal, MOCO won't cover any more labor or parts trying to repair it. I've called MOCO customer service and they said they stand behind their field reps opinion and will not warrenty any further work on this problem at my current dealer or any other. I've about had it with Harley.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by snuffer; 10-10-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:07 PM
TattedUp
Tourer

I think MOCO is full of ****. I know a couple of fat bobs and they don't do that.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Dunno the laws in your state, but here in Massholeachusetts.....we have a "lemon law." The dealer/manufacturer has a requirement to make the vehicle right or refund the money...if your dealer is saying there's something wrong, and some area rep guy is saying no...I'd guess it's time for a lawyer. Talk to one who specializes in FTC law....even though many of the consumer friendly laws have been eliminated over the years, there are still rules about "implied merchantability" and crap like that. A good mouthpiece will be familiar with this stuff and know what to do...don't let up on them! Bad publicity (and if you end up filing a lawsuit against the MOCO that is very bad publicity) is not good for any company in today's economy! Harley doesn't want or need bad press right now just like every other company!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:13 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snuffer
I have an 08 Fat Bob. At about 5000 miles it started making a sound like BB's bouncing around in the engine when I cracked the throttle, any gear any RPM, whenever I cracked the throttle wide open. There is no fall off in power when it occurs. The dealer thought it might be pinging so I had a SEST installed, had the A/F mixture enriched and had the bike dyno-tuned. Didn't make any difference. Dealer had it in his shop for over 3 weeks (he checked chain tensioner, checked for exhaust leaks, retarded the timing twice, removed heat shields, ran octane booster in gas) and still couldn't fix it. I've ran this bike in temps from 40-80 degrees F, still does it consistently when I crack the throttle. I tried drilling another vent in gas cap liner, put stock pipes back on, checked for intake manifold leaks with propane, still does it. Incidentally, the bike has a HD oil cooler on it since new and I run synthetic oil.

Anyway, a MOCO factory rep was at my dealer, he took my bike for a ride and heard the noise, he said it was normal and that I shouldn't ride my bike in a way that requires cracking the throttle wide open. My dealer agrees with me that it's a problem and not normal. But, since the factory rep said it's normal, MOCO won't cover any more labor or parts trying to repair it. I've called MOCO customer service and they said they stand behind their field reps opinion and will not warrenty any further work on this problem at my current dealer or any other. I've about had it with Harley.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Now THAT sounds frustrating. How do you argue with that. Personally, I would dig my heels in and go to a number of service depts and get a written service report from them supporting my claim...and offer that to substantiate my complaint.

Having many concurring opinions about what the problem is that disagree with the one MOCO rep might shed light on the fact that their rep is completely wrong in this instance. Is that even a possibility? If they still refute, then it's lawyer time ... considering you now already have evidence in your favour.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser

I would write or call back to MOCO and say that I do understand that you stand by your rep, but he is human and that you would feel better with a second opinion. After all this is your baby. I think that you should also have the dealer ask for it in writing.
It's only good business.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
snuffer
Cruiser

In my state, the lemon law doesn't cover bikes.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Try some " Rocket Fuel" If this doesn't take the ping out it will be a first Jireh sells it P/N 103-191 If it works please let us know

Old 10-10-2009, 06:35 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had a new 85 superglide do that they told me to put a couple capfuls of marvel mystery oil in each tank of gas I thought they were crazy when they told me that but it quit doing it

Old 10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
snuffer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by canuck pride
I would write or call back to MOCO and say that I do understand that you stand by your rep, but he is human and that you would feel better with a second opinion. After all this is your baby. I think that you should also have the dealer ask for it in writing.
It's only good business.
I did call them back a couple weeks ago and said almost exactly what you suggested. Their response was that "once a field rep makes his judgement, that matter is closed". I asked the customer service rep on the phone if he had a new car that was still under warrenty and it started making an unusual noise when he excellerated, would he just live with it, not knowing if it was causing any damage or not. His response was "the matter is closed". When I asked to speak to his superior or another customer service rep, he refused to transfer me to anyone else. He said they would tell me the same thing, so I said "that's fine, I just want someone else to tell me the same thing", he again refused to transfer me to anyone else.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like Harley is being some real dickwads on this one.
Maybe some of our dealership members will have some ideas on what you can do next.

Quick Reply: I've about given up on Harley