General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Armour, blocks wind & cold nice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Greenfed
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UA are expensive, but well worth the price! I wear this stuff everything day from fall through the winter.. Especially when I was working out of a Detroit, MI office

Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
I'm guessing you don't ski, snowboard, or climb.
Yeah, I was wondering with all this talk how this stuff stacks up against the other high end base layer gear?

I’ve got some Patagonia Capilene that I bought for backpacking and use while riding that is pretty nice. I think I have the #2 and not the warmest. I was thinking about getting some #3, but I don’t want to die if it gets into the 60s.

Pricewise, it looks like the UA is maybe even more expensive.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't beat US Army issued Poly Pro.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Greenfed
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
You are'nt kiddin' Poly pro is some good stuff!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 PM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cabelas sells a base layer that is good too. 80% silk. I've washed and dryed mine with no special treatment and they are as good as new. They have big and tall sizes also.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Yeah, I was wondering with all this talk how this stuff stacks up against the other high end base layer gear?

I’ve got some Patagonia Capilene that I bought for backpacking and use while riding that is pretty nice. I think I have the #2 and not the warmest. I was thinking about getting some #3, but I don’t want to die if it gets into the 60s.

Pricewise, it looks like the UA is maybe even more expensive.
Under Armour has two things going for it: it's skin-tight and it wicks moisture. Those two properties will do a lot to keep one warm with another layer over it, even jeans. Simple lycra stuff will do what Under Armour does for a tenth of the price. Try it. Guarantee it.

Under Armour is also sold in more mainstream sports shops, hunting/fishing stores, etc. So a whole different market......

But for serious cold weather........Capilene 2 or 3 is real good. Cap 3 is almost too much for skiing. But for sitting on your azz on a motorcycle, it might be just right.

This last ski season (I'm a pro ski instructor) I became a SmartWool convert. It's merino wool that is soft, thin, and washable. It is so warm and light! And, even if it gets wet it will still keep you warm. Synthetics won't do that.

There is a lot of good stuff you can find in a good ski/snowboard shop or a good backpacking/climbing shop. Lots. I get discounts on lots of ski gear and I get kickbacks on referring clients to local shops. But.......I only keep my clients by making good references. Cap 2 and SmartWool is what most skiers prefer.

SmartWool is the only base layer I have ever owned that withstands a whole season of daily wear. Worth it to me at any price.
Originally Posted by gunner11
Yes, you can I wore it in the Army and it was better than nothing, but it will get funky! And, yes, SOOOOoooooo much stuff out there better than polypro.

Polypro is good for low-intensity activity--not too active and not stationary, like guarding the motor pool in the middle of a Korean winter night (ask me how I know that). But, don't let it get wet, either from sweat or from water.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Fabar. I figured the Capilene had to rate up there with the UA stuff, but I haven’t read much on UA besides on here. I had been concerned that a trip I’m taking next week was going to be too cold for my Cap 2, but it looks like the temps are going to be near 70 in the day and just some cool mornings. I should be good.

Another brand that my local backpacking/hiking outdoor store carries is Icebreaker: http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html

I haven’t gotten so serious about it to take the leap into wool. It’s a bit high for me. I do enjoy the Smartwool socks. I may be in the market for another mid weight pair before my scooter trip next week in fact.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I wear my Fourth Element drysuit underwear....

Old 10-21-2009, 08:13 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Thanks Fabar. I figured the Capilene had to rate up there with the UA stuff, but I haven’t read much on UA besides on here. I had been concerned that a trip I’m taking next week was going to be too cold for my Cap 2, but it looks like the temps are going to be near 70 in the day and just some cool mornings. I should be good.
your Cap 2 will be fine for the cool mornings, even at 70mph. well, it would for me. YMMV.

Another brand that my local backpacking/hiking outdoor store carries is Icebreaker: http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html
Yeah, that is good stuff, too. My wife has some of that stuff. Now if they offered a PSIA discount.....

I haven’t gotten so serious about it to take the leap into wool. It’s a bit high for me. I do enjoy the Smartwool socks. I may be in the market for another mid weight pair before my scooter trip next week in fact.
Have a good trip and stay warm!