General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for heated gloves/grips

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default Time for heated gloves/grips

Just sharin' my experience with both heated gloves and grips for those about to purchase either...

Heated grips...pro: convenient, always there when you need them, generally provides plenty of heat.

Heated grips...con: difficult to install, heats only the palm of the hand, letting go of the grip for just a short rest results in very quick heat loss.

Heated gloves...pro: heats the entire hand, can let go of the grip to rest the hand without heat loss.

Heated gloves...con: wiring harnesses, cumbersome plugs, need to plug in before the ride.

For me, the heated grips simply did not supply enough heat to the rest of the hand...I could burn my palms and never get the rest of the hand warm. As I like to ride with only one hand on the grips, the "resting" hand would freeze when using heated grips...not so with heated gloves.

And I need to carry only two pairs of gloves...one for warmer weather and the heated ones. Most heated gloves provide enough warmth without plugging them in during cooler rides.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM
bklanecky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use the 96" heater between my legs. Man up.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by bklanecky
I just use the 96" heater between my legs. Man up.
That works for the right hand but I always seem to grab onto the spark plug wire with the left.

While that's really entertaining for those around me, clutching becomes something of an issue until I regain use of my left hand.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

It takes some getting used to plugging and unplugging, but there ain't nothing better for staying warm.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heated grips for me...I like the convenience..just a flip of the switch and I'm good to go. Installing these on my new 2 me Ultra... http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Ride...d_grip_kit.htm ..that and a heated vest and I'm ready.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
LetItRide
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous bike (GL1800) had heated grips and a heated seat (!) so I was really happy to find the Ultra Limited I recently bought came with heated grips.

My experience with heated gloves are a pair of Widders that I rarely use anymore, they make me feel like I am wearing snowmobile gloves - gauntlets would be a better term.

While the heated grips are not perfect - they allow me to wear whatever gloves I want - and these factory heated grips practically burn my hands off!

I just wish there was a way to funnel the waste heat from the engine up
under my coat on these cold Ohio mornings....

Jim

Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Just sharin' my experience with both heated gloves and grips for those about to purchase either...

Heated grips...pro: convenient, always there when you need them, generally provides plenty of heat.

Heated grips...con: difficult to install, heats only the palm of the hand, letting go of the grip for just a short rest results in very quick heat loss.

Heated gloves...pro: heats the entire hand, can let go of the grip to rest the hand without heat loss.

Heated gloves...con: wiring harnesses, cumbersome plugs, need to plug in before the ride.

For me, the heated grips simply did not supply enough heat to the rest of the hand...I could burn my palms and never get the rest of the hand warm. As I like to ride with only one hand on the grips, the "resting" hand would freeze when using heated grips...not so with heated gloves.

And I need to carry only two pairs of gloves...one for warmer weather and the heated ones. Most heated gloves provide enough warmth without plugging them in during cooler rides.

Hope that helps!
HD has some Heated gloves that operate off battery. Worth a look. I would really like to get some of those.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by brutalbrad; 10-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I have heated grips on both my bikes and heated gloves. Grips are worthless below 32 degrees. I use the heated grips when its above 38. My heated gloves with the temp controller is excellent. I rode at 22 degrees and felt fine. Plus I always ride with my right two forefingers on the brake lever and have to have heated gloves. It takes a couple minutes to put on the wiring through the sleeves and clip the thermostat to my belt. I've seen the lithium ion battery gloves but I have no idea how effective they are. When I looked in to them I got the impression they're made for wearing while walking or working in the cold outside - not motorcycle use. They're expensive and the battery charge, depending on what setting you use, is not that long and lithium batteries are very expensive to replace.

Last edited by barjbar; 10-21-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:11 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

Listen. Go to your local army/navy surplus. Look for a pair of Air Force extreme cold weather mitts. Also get a pair or two of Navy wool flight deck gloves. Take out the heavy wool mitt insert that comes with the Air Force extreme cold weather mitt and just use the Navy wool glove inside it. Think I'm kidding? All for $25-$30. This is what I use when I scoot from Massachusetts to Daytona each year in February/March.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, for an alternative......

I use my Hestra ski gloves: waterproof, windproof, washable liners.....

and they keep my hands toasty going 60mph on a bike or on skis.

Quick Reply: Time for heated gloves/grips