General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

directions to the dragon tail

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
straitshot151
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default directions to the dragon tail

Ihave heard alot about this place and I want to go.I am planing an early fall trip thru the Smokeys in Tenn.I have tried looking it up on the map but cant find it.What town is it close to and what hiway out of Tenn gets you there???????
Thanks

Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: directions to the dragon tail

It ends at Robbinsville North Carolina, I might be wrong but I think it's 129 through Deals Gap. Around here I beleive everyone goes to Etowah Tenn. ( you say it just like its spelled) and turns east toward Tellico Plains and it's not hard to find. Try mapquest on Tellico Plains Tenn. I think that'll get you started. It's only about an hour and half from me and I have never tried it. I was invited Sunday morning but had other committments. Stafford

Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yea get to Atlanta, turn north on I-75 and drive probably about 40 or 50 miles and take the Chatsworth Ga. exit hiway 411. I"d guess it's 100 miles to Etowah or you can continue on and drive straight into Maryville Tenn. and take a right on 321 and it'll take you straight to the great smokey mountains. have fun. Stafford

Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
raftgyde
Road Master

http://www.tailofthedragon.com

Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 AM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you get there, you can stay in lodges right at the Gap or go to Alcoa, TN (about 20 minutes from the Gap) Though I haven't gone there on the HD, it's been a ritual for about a dozen of us to meet twice a year to ride.

We'll go up on a Thurs/Fri, ride a couple of days and come back. When you're on a sportbike, 2 days will kill ya if you're riding hard.

Riding the gap (318 curves in 11 miles) is like eating really HOT wings. It's great to see if you can tolerate the heat but I'd much rather be eating medium and eat more of them.... thus, CHEROHALA SKYWAY.

After you've whipped through the Gap, you can continue for a long ride even higher (up to 5500 ft. elev.) in the mountains. The road is known as Cherohala Skyway and it 's got loooong sweepers with many look-outs to pull over and enjoy. (and now that I ride an HD, I find myself liking to take longer cruises and enjoying the view.) (hmmmm, who would thought?)

One word of advice, becareful. Every season, there is a least a casualty or two. The last time I was there (august '05) two glides ran each to each other head-on because they both went over their respective lines. Both died.

Hope you have a great time. Here's a pic of my last ride. (though I did take leathers, this was a mild cruise... thus the draggin' jeans and Kevlar shirt)

Old 07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,742 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Funny, everytime I go up there on our Harleys I'm wishin I still had a sport bike just for the Dragons tail. You're absolutley right about the Cherohala. Don't miss that ride....soooo much better than the tail itself. Also do Clingmans dome, and ride the entire loop. Go here if you're looking for more info: http://tailofthedragon.com

ORIGINAL: orangecrush

When you get there, you can stay in lodges right at the Gap or go to Alcoa, TN (about 20 minutes from the Gap) Though I haven't gone there on the HD, it's been a ritual for about a dozen of us to meet twice a year to ride.

We'll go up on a Thurs/Fri, ride a couple of days and come back. When you're on a sportbike, 2 days will kill ya if you're riding hard.

Riding the gap (318 curves in 11 miles) is like eating really HOT wings. It's great to see if you can tolerate the heat but I'd much rather be eating medium and eat more of them.... thus, CHEROHALA SKYWAY.

After you've whipped through the Gap, you can continue for a long ride even higher (up to 5500 ft. elev.) in the mountains. The road is known as Cherohala Skyway and it 's got loooong sweepers with many look-outs to pull over and enjoy. (and now that I ride an HD, I find myself liking to take longer cruises and enjoying the view.) (hmmmm, who would thought?)

One word of advice, becareful. Every season, there is a least a casualty or two. The last time I was there (august '05) two glides ran each to each other head-on because they both went over their respective lines. Both died.

Hope you have a great time. Here's a pic of my last ride. (though I did take leathers, this was a mild cruise... thus the draggin' jeans and Kevlar shirt)

Old 07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Lpye
Road Captain

If you come out of Maryville Tenn on 129 South you will end up on the Dragon. It is just north of the Lake Fontanna Dam on Highway 28. You can also follow 129 South beyound the Dragon to Robbinsville. From There you can ride the Cherohala Skyway over to Telico Plains. (Great Ride). Make a nice loop. Plenty of places to stay around Maryville and Alcoa. Dealership in Maryville (Smiky Mountains HD) had entertainment on a lt of Saturday nights.