General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use heated gloves without a thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts
Default Can you use heated gloves without a thermostat?

The instruction booklet that came with the HD heated gloves doesn't say not to use the gloves without a thermostat. I don't know how hot they will get if I just plug them into the wiring from the power switch. Or if I have to have the regulator with the gloves to use them. As you can tell this is my first experience with any heated clothing.
I did read that you can only use the dual thermostat to regulate 2 items of clothing. I didn't plan on buying a heated jacket until next month so I was hoping to hold off on getting the dual controller until then also.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use them without a thermostat, but they get mighty warm. I went the cheap route and bought the on/off switch which helps, except now I'm cold/hot/cold/hot. I'm gonna break down and get the thermostat. The on of switch is cheap enough to give it a try though.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

I was afraid they would get too warm without a controller. With luck maybe I won't need to wear them until after I get the jacket.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 461 Likes on 247 Posts

Of course you can.... but they might get a tad bit TOO warm... the dual controller, will work just fine with the gloves, there are 2 out puts, plug the glove's "Y" cord in, and turn both full on. Once the gloves are warm, turn one of the ***** down.... either the gloves will cool, or not. If not? then switch THAT **** to the off position, and tune the other **** to your comfort.
Like most other things, it's going to come down to YOUR comfort level.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the winter I usually ditch the controller (which is kind of a PITA) and just use the on/off switch leaving it full on all the time. I switch on just after starting the engine and switch off just before I kill the engine. In the Fall and Spring, the controller can be handy. What I'm saying is: try it. If the gloves get too warm, buy a controller.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

They will definitely get much too warm in some weather. The good news is, the gloves are pretty warm *without* plugging them in. I don't start wearing mine until the temps hit low 40's. I don't plug them in until it gets to mid-30's or lower.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Theo
Cruiser

They will get too warm. I found out the hard way. I bought them last year during a road trip in november and didn't get a thermostat and I ended up with blisters on my knuckles and some other places...but my hands weren't cold. After a while from repeated use, the blisters turned into calluses and then everything was fine. You might be able to get by with some thin glove liners.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

After many days of searches I finally found a controller I am willing to pay for. I have it ordered but haven't received it yet so I can't endorse it. I will let you know how it works.
http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_t...x.htm#trilevel

Old 10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Splatter
Road Master

Originally Posted by SamStone
After many days of searches I finally found a controller I am willing to pay for. I have it ordered but haven't received it yet so I can't endorse it. I will let you know how it works.
http://www.lockitt.com/accessories_t...x.htm#trilevel
It's pretty, and the power handling is suitable for the jacket liner and gloves, but anything more than that and you'll be over the 10 Amp limit.

Gerbings draw numbers:
Gloves 2.2 Amps
Jacket 6.4 A
Vest 5.4 A
Pants 4 A
Socks 2.2 A

(I'm told socks are out of production and now they only sell insoles. I don't know what the draw is, but I'm assuming they're no worse than the socks. I can tell you're they're very comfy)

Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Splatter cozy winter has socks listed
http://cozywinters.com/shop/wg-hsc.html

I looked at that controller last night but it said to use it for only one item. Are you saying it can be used to control 2 items at the same time? That would make this controller a bargain and worth ordering.

I forgot to ask this also. Can you use the battery tender plug for juice to power things like gloves? Which of the coax cables would you need?

Last edited by Mr.Softy; 10-26-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Forgot a question

Quick Reply: Can you use heated gloves without a thermostat?