General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in general, do liquid cooled engines....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
cowboy-bc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

The whole pemise water cooled or jap bikes are some how superior in any way is rediculous. Fact is jap bikes are disposable and at a certain age the become non repairable. Any Harley is repairable and have you ever seen a Harley at a motorcycle salvage yard? Anyone ever seen a 1960's Honda going down the rode? Would ya ride a 60's or 70's honda. Last time I saw a 1960's Honda it was new. But having said that i have a killer water cooled RMZ 450 moto x bike and would I have a Harley one if they made one, not likely.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboy-bc
The whole pemise water cooled or jap bikes are some how superior in any way is rediculous. ...

Did anyone actually say that "water cooled jap bikes" are "superior"? I thought we were talking about engines.

... Fact is jap bikes are disposable and at a certain age the become non repairable...

That is not only not a "fact", it's a preposterous suggestion. Sure, some of them are throw-away junk. But to make a sweeping generalization like that is just silly.

... Anyone ever seen a 1960's Honda going down the rode? ...

Absolutely! Quite a few of them. You don't get out much, I take it? Seriously, no offense, but there is a whole world of vintage Japanese bikes out there, and a thriving market in them. There was a whole exhibit at the NY Motorcycle Show last year entitled Vintage Japanese Bikes. It was one of my favorite sections.

... Would ya ride a 60's or 70's honda...
You betcha! I would love to get my hands on a 305 Dream. I had one...back in the 1960's.... They are awesome bikes.

Of course, all those old "Jap bikes" were air cooled, fwiw. ....

Mark

Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Did anyone actually say that "water cooled jap bikes" are "superior"? I thought we were talking about engines.

That is not only not a "fact", it's a preposterous suggestion. Sure, some of them are throw-away junk. But to make a sweeping generalization like that is just silly.

Absolutely! Quite a few of them. You don't get out much, I take it? Seriously, no offense, but there is a whole world of vintage Japanese bikes out there, and a thriving market in them. There was a whole exhibit at the NY Motorcycle Show last year entitled Vintage Japanese Bikes. It was one of my favorite sections.

You betcha! I would love to get my hands on a 305 Dream. I had one...back in the 1960's.... They are awesome bikes.

Of course, all those old "Jap bikes" were air cooled, fwiw. ....

Mark
Thank you for taking the time to answer that. I agree.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

there was a guy this summer that rode his Honda Dream to the JackAss Flats Bike Nights. Was an older fella, prob in his 70's.
Every week that guy had a crowd of Harley riders around the bike.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
ron bayless
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my ultra.But my bike 2 bikes ago was an 1980 gs 1000 suzuki.My wife and i rebuilt the topend because it developed a major oil leak at 23,000 miles.A four cylinder,dual overhead cams,4 carburetors,and my wife and i redid the topend.It ran like a scalded dog.You can still get parts for those,and VJEMC is a thriving organization.But,no one but bmw and harley makes parts for every bike they have ever made.At least thats what i was told one time.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

Hi all,

The whole pemise water cooled or jap bikes are some how superior in any way is rediculous. Fact is jap bikes are disposable and at a certain age the become non repairable. Any Harley is repairable and have you ever seen a Harley at a motorcycle salvage yard? Anyone ever seen a 1960's Honda going down the rode? Would ya ride a 60's or 70's honda. Last time I saw a 1960's Honda it was new. But having said that i have a killer water cooled RMZ 450 moto x bike and would I have a Harley one if they made one, not likely.
Eh, I would kill for a perfectly restored 1969 CB750. It's one of the most important motorcycles in history.

Seriously though, you come across as rather ignorant.

Last edited by Fred00; 11-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cacruzen
I would be willing to bet anyone a nice dinner out that Harley will switch over from the air cooled motor to a variation of the V-Rod motor within 10 years for all of the touring bikes followed by the rest. You can't possibly believe that Harley put that much engineering and money into the V-Rod motor just to make a street racer type bike. It would take decades of sales of the V-Rod to re-coup that amount of investment. Harley is looking to the future where bikes will regulated by smog guidelines similar to cars. An air cooled motor will always have oil blow by as the motor increases in mileage. That is the nature of the beast !! They will fail the smog tests. That means a lower resale value and ultimately will affect new bike sales.

They have the motor to take them through the next phase of EPA requirements in the V-Rod motor and I believe we will be seeing it soon.
Interesing to note that much of the problem with EPA requirements is noise not emissions. Water jackets do wonders in insulating noise! that's also why the twin cam has chain driven cams and not gear driven, or so I'm told. Gears were too noisy.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Hi all,

Has to do with overall value (monetary) of the bike. Jap bikes cost less so people less willing to do major work to them as thay get old. The motor won't wear out though. Nope. Ever try to kill a CBR? you'll kill yourself before the motor. Oh yeah it's liquid cooled. Try getting over 100HP from 600cc air cooled! That said, either will last a long time.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fred00
Eh, I would kill for a perfectly restored 1969 CB750. It's one of the most important motorcycles in history.

Agreed! That and the Kawasaki Mach III. Remember those? They were all the rage when I was a kid.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 PM
turn8a
Road Captain

I think there are good and bad in all brands .1984 rz 350 I can still get parts ,,,1986 honda z50 .

Attached Thumbnails in general, do liquid cooled engines....-picture-105.jpg   in general, do liquid cooled engines....-picture-210.jpg  

Quick Reply: in general, do liquid cooled engines....