General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in general, do liquid cooled engines....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it Honda quits making parts for a model 10 years after the last one rolls off the line.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The US law states the manufacturer must make parts for 10 years. I wonder if the parts that anyone is getting for a 10 old or older model that does not cross ref to a newer model is coming from HD, Honda ,Yamaha ,etc. I mean you can get parts for an old Harley of course, but not from Harley Davidson itself.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Agreed! That and the Kawasaki Mach III. Remember those? They were all the rage when I was a kid.
They were evil fast. Watch the movie Cadillac Man , Tim Robbins comes flyin into the car dealership on one and when he leaves that thing gets on the pipe and he almost, I mean damn near, goes down.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 PM
conroskie
Road Master

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
How could you stand looking at that thing (or being seen on it) for 211K miles?

J/K
Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
conroskie
Road Master

Originally Posted by schumacher
My 86 Aspy had over 200K on it, ran like a top, and looked brand new. Had it for a few years before I got rid of it in 07.

I can show you 85 Harleys that look like crap and run that way as well.

Neither side is gonna win this one, because there are examples of both on both sides of the fence.

Now go argue about fingerless gloves or something.......you guys are startin to disapoint me
Say it aint so Schu... Not a pink Aspencade!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 02:33 AM
widget
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say that my Triumph (being the older manufacturer!!!) is of higher quality than my Harley. I dont likke using the Harley during the winter as the chrome just dies and the alloy gets attacked with the salt very easily. As for the availability of parts, Harley Dealer or nothing in the UK. why is it that US companies will not ship outside the states.

The big change wil come for Harley when they are forced to meet emmision laws wih catalytic converters etc. to be honest the triumph watercooled engie is for superior to the harley are cooled V-Twin, the maintenace schedules are longer and I hae oproblems with reliability. The reason why watecooled engines are so popular is performance.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 AM
cowboy-bc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fred00
Eh, I would kill for a perfectly restored 1969 CB750. It's one of the most important motorcycles in history.

Seriously though, you come across as rather ignorant.
Hi all,

I remember the first time I saw a CB 750 as if it were yesterday. You name it I rode the pants off it, I especially remember the Kawi triples and the 900 and lost my drivers licence 3 times before I was 20 on just such a beast, I think I owned 7 jap bikes and still own 2 and I'm on my 4th Harley. Anyway having said that I'd like to point out that all Jap bikes eventually become worthless and if the sit in someones garage long enough the will a some point become desirable to someone but will they be worth a lot of money, no. Go price a flat head, pan or a shovel no matter the condition some time.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

Originally Posted by hornhonker
As I understand it Honda quits making parts for a model 10 years after the last one rolls off the line.
Incorrect. Just bought brand new parts for 1981 CX500.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser

Well from a scientific point of view, I believe a water cooled engine operates in a more narrow temperature range than an air cooled engine. It is an easier life for all the parts of the engine. Less wear from less expansion and contraction on all surfaces. Lubricants probably work better too. My guess is that the tolerances of the parts in a water cooled engine are tighter than an air cooled engine.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:20 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by matt25
exactly. i just bought a ne harley. not because i am delusional and think it will last 1/2 as long as some of the other bikes i have owned. i just like the bike. end of story. i sell metrics for a living and i never have had a bike that was so boned that it needed a new motor. almost every harley owner i has had a big fix.
Being such a big fan of metrics, as you obviously are, why did you buy a Harley again?

Quick Reply: in general, do liquid cooled engines....