General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage pics...lets see them

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally no set would be complete without some ladies of the period.

I have included a picture of my first wife aboard my first "chopper" yes that really is a 650 Yamaha under there proving the old adage that if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. ( The bike not my ex, she was fine as wine ). To that bikes defense I did eventually put a 12" over springer on it and rode it from Chicago to Phoenix and back. ( Burnt a hole in a piston on the way out, and fried the electrics on the way home.) It was soon replaced by an HD, but the urge to chop never left me. ( I should note that the paint on this one is not mine, but rather one of the few guys in this world I consider my brother )

The gal in white pants is Cheri and she proves that not all flower girls were dirty & nasty, well I take that back, but she was very, very clean....... SHe broke my heart over a bag of, well never mind. It mended, really quick.

Finally the gal in the yellow shirt is Lorna, and she is the one I let get away. It was a real Romeo and Juliet thing and I was not man enough to know what I really wanted. But you have to admit, there is nothing sexier then a woman polishing your chrome!

The frightening thing is my YOUNGEST daughter is now older then any of these gals were when I dated them! ! ! ! !

Attached Thumbnails Vintage pics...lets see them-marie.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-cheri.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-lorna.jpg  

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 11-25-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
iamrfixit
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My grandfather, not sure when it was taken some time in the 50's

Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM
cap5369
Road Master

I love the old ventage scooters, great pic's thanks for sharing. Ride safe

Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
"Of course the bike lives in the house" set.
Back in 1971 I built my scoot in the dining room of my apartment in Chicago. Sure wish I kept it. The dude on the scoot is me, back in the day.

The original bike, a 1968 Sportster. $850.00 Frame deburred, molded and painted. $80.00. New tank, all fiber glass, custom painted, $60.00. Springer front end, 10" over, built by some company in Cicero IL ,$195.00. New seat, $32.00. Every bolt, screw, washer, lock nuts and rocker covers chromed, $85.00.

No scoot but I still have all the receipts.

The good old days!

Attached Thumbnails Vintage pics...lets see them-harley-engine.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-engine.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-engine-and-frame.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-harley.jpg   Vintage pics...lets see them-dad-on-1968-harley-1972.jpg  

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Tom,

That looks like an XLCH motor same as my '69.

Who did your motor work? I had ported and polished the heads myself and then had the machining and assembly work done by an outfit on Cicero Ave up around Division I think. I can't remember the name, but they were the hot outfit for building Sporty motors back in the late '70s. When they were done they shipped it to Phoenix for me. Talk about a kid on Christmas morning!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Betros
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome pics!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I found this one and thought a thread with a collection of this type would fun.

here is an old harley catalog...lots of neat stuff and some pictuires

http://www.roadratroberts1.bravepage...20CAT.%201.htm

Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by tomt
Back in 1971 I built my scoot in the dining room of my apartment in Chicago. Sure wish I kept it. The dude on the scoot is me, back in the day.

The original bike, a 1968 Sportster. $850.00 Frame deburred, molded and painted. $80.00. New tank, all fiber glass, custom painted, $60.00. Springer front end, 10" over, built by some company in Cicero IL ,$195.00. New seat, $32.00. Every bolt, screw, washer, lock nuts and rocker covers chromed, $85.00.

No scoot but I still have all the receipts.

The good old days!

Brings back memories, I built several engines, transmissions, and rear axles in my living room.
Also remember seeing a lot of bikes like yours back then as far as the stance. There were a lot of vehicles back in my old neighborhood that were modified, Harley's with the extended front ends, and cars converted to a straight axle up front giving it that higher stance gasser look like the below 1965 GTO.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:44 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
Tom,

That looks like an XLCH motor same as my '69.

Who did your motor work? I had ported and polished the heads myself and then had the machining and assembly work done by an outfit on Cicero Ave up around Division I think. I can't remember the name, but they were the hot outfit for building Sporty motors back in the late '70s. When they were done they shipped it to Phoenix for me. Talk about a kid on Christmas morning!
It's been so long ago, I don't remember what engine. This was my first motorcycle. All I know it was a stock 1968, kicker with a 900cc engine, before I got my hands on it. The engine had some leaks so when I removed all the parts that I wanted to send out for chroming, I took the rest of the engine apart.

Worked on drag car engines at the time. I had most of the tools and access to a local machine shop. The owner let us work on our car engines there and he let me work on my Harley engine. This was the first cycle engine he ever saw apart.

The shop that built my springer front end was on Cicero ave in Cicero IL.