General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some people just aint ready

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM
mpmillion
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep there are an awful lot of foot draggers at stores and when they are making turns at stop lights. Someone called me out on it at work....i looked at them and said "This is fresh GRAVEL i'm on going less than five miles an hour and doing a u turn." Sometimes you just got to lay that foot down....I don't see the reason at stop lights though. They just need more experience and more confidence. That's what alot of riding is about....confidence.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:13 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't see anything in the story to suggest this unfortunate lady rider was a newbie who wasn't "ready to ride".

Doesn't seem fair to put her out there as support for the argument that some people aren't ready to ride on the street. Do unto others and all that.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you put your foot down while making u-turns you will eventualy get a black toenail, break your foot or dump..... trust me. The only time your feet should be on the ground is when you are at a dead stop.....trust me.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
+1 to that. It seems like many riders today last rode a bicycle 20 yrs ago then hopped on a Softail or Dyna. Not saying its good to finally get one a bike and one that you want but start small man. Not to start hattin' on Rockets but nothing like going from your 12 speed Huffy Mt. Bike to a Yamaha R1 that goes 180.
Not sure about Harley's, but you'd be suprised how many sportbikes never make it home from the dealer. Alarming. I know of 2 guys who bought big twins as a first bike. Not too good of an idea. Happily, they both made it to become good riders.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Just think of all the people in cages that should never have been given the right to operate on our highways.
Yeah,........... short, sweet, and soooooooo TRUE!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

Some people just have their moments. It is not our place to judge others on their riding. My friends will tell you that I can ride the hell out of any bike but when I get in a parking lot around a lot of people that I don't know I get nervous and do stupid newbie stuff. I guess it's cause I am female and feel like I have to prove to all the guys that I can ride so yes I look a little goofy at times. Truth is for the amount of time I have been riding I have heard so many people talk about what great riders they are and how so and so should not be on their bike and then I see the same people make such blatantly stupid mistakes....

Ride your own ride and quit worrying about others

Old 11-27-2009, 08:34 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

there are many reasons a rider can "lose control"

I wouldn't make a judgement without knowing all of the details.

I've "lost control" and it had nothing to do with my riding experience.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master

As to the foot down comments.... On a bagger you take the risk of breaking your leg when you foot gets caught under the bags but on the other bikes who cares? Watch some of the worlds best MotoGP riders (who started out on dirtbikes) and they will stick their leg out as if they are going to put their foot down going in to turns at well over 100+ mph

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TittiesOnTwo
Some people just have their moments. It is not our place to judge others on their riding. My friends will tell you that I can ride the hell out of any bike but when I get in a parking lot around a lot of people that I don't know I get nervous and do stupid newbie stuff. I guess it's cause I am female and feel like I have to prove to all the guys that I can ride so yes I look a little goofy at times. Truth is for the amount of time I have been riding I have heard so many people talk about what great riders they are and how so and so should not be on their bike and then I see the same people make such blatantly stupid mistakes....

Yeah, I see what you're sayin'. But what if you were in the waffle House eating breakfast when a bike comes through the window? Guess their ride becomes your business at that point?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TittiesOnTwo

I'll hold him down, and you beat the crap out of him

Quick Reply: Some people just aint ready