General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some people just aint ready

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 AM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some people just aint ready

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A 48-year-old woman died Thursday morning after she crashed her motorcycle on the city's east side.

Police said Donna Evans lost control of the motorcycle near the intersection of Cassady Avenue and Demoyne Avenue around 10:30 a.m. The motorcycle then struck the side of a Waffle House restaurant. No one else was hurt in the crash.

Stay with 10TV and and refresh 10TV.com for more information

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cant forget the feeling I had walking out of my last night of the Ohio motorcycle road course. The 2 instructors passed all 18 people in the class. There was people dropping bikes,running over stuff,stalling out you name it I saw it. In my opinion it was a death sentence to pass a few of those people. For what ? To avoid them not liking you? Thats the only thing I can think of because some of the riding was horrific. Some of the people did not own a bike nor had ever (as in never) even sat on a bike before they jumped on those little 250 state bikes. 3 days later still cant find neutral and they give them a slip to go get theyre DL? Honestly a couple of them were so scared on these bikes in a parking lot thats I could tell there was no way they will ever e safe on the road.Not to mention a Highway.

Last edited by Seascape; 11-27-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Just think of all the people in cages that should never have been given the right to operate on our highways.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep...Just hang out where a lot of bikes come and go and watch how some of them handle their bikes at low speeds...It is scary...I don't see how a lot of them make it home.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Yep...Just hang out where a lot of bikes come and go and watch how some of them handle their bikes at low speeds...It is scary...I don't see how a lot of them make it home.
"Usually" the #1 spot, for this?????

IN an HD dealer, parking lot !!!!!!!! And invariably, they are located on BUSY streets/roads/intersections !!!!!!
SINK or SWIM, **** !!!!!!!! Helluva way, to learn.

I can't believe the number of "foot draggerz" I see, now daze !!!! GOOD time to change course, and go the OTHER direction, as in, STAY CLEAR !!!!

Jus' cause you 'can' climb aboard, doesn't mean YOU SHOULD. JMFUO, as "ooze-ual".

Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
"Usually" the #1 spot, for this?????

IN an HD dealer, parking lot !!!!!!!! And invariably, they are located on BUSY streets/roads/intersections !!!!!!
SINK or SWIM, **** !!!!!!!! Helluva way, to learn.

I can't believe the number of "foot draggerz" I see, now daze !!!! GOOD time to change course, and go the OTHER direction, as in, STAY CLEAR !!!!

Jus' cause you 'can' climb aboard, doesn't mean YOU SHOULD. JMFUO, as "ooze-ual".
+1 to that. It seems like many riders today last rode a bicycle 20 yrs ago then hopped on a Softail or Dyna. Not saying its good to finally get one a bike and one that you want but start small man. Not to start hattin' on Rockets but nothing like going from your 12 speed Huffy Mt. Bike to a Yamaha R1 that goes 180.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,369 Likes on 3,288 Posts

These courses are great but some of the riders go out and over ride their skills...Guy i know took the riders edge, never rode in his life, passed and bought a brand new softail, blinged it out and bought about $1500.00 worth of HD clothes...that made him qualified to ride with me only 1 time until i spoke to him... see him every once in a while...1 year later 1000 miles on his bike...still wears the HD socks though..

Old 11-27-2009, 06:41 AM
carmencip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That why I generally stay away from big group rides...to many wingnuts and inexperienced riders.

I have to say here in the great state of Pa the MSF free course my son took a few years back was quite impressive. I hung around and watched the driving sessions. The dudes really put them through the paces. Over and over and over. Everyone that passed that course and a pretty decent start in the basics..
There was this one overweight women who jumped a curb, went over the hill and crashed. She was really shook up....she just limbed to her car, got in and drove away. I think the lighbulb went on in her head and she realized this wasn't for her.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blame gas prices and "credit go to have it mentality" for many of them. When gas prices were up over 4 dollars I had a buddy that parked his truck and walked into HD and picked a bike. Has never road one a day in his life and for as long I have known him he swore he would never get on a "death trap" as he called it. When I asked why he changed his mind his answer was "I can not afford to drive the truck and I do not want to drive a Prius!" I replied "You can buy allot of gas for $19,000." Nope he would rather pay the bike note then get raped at the pump.

I swore to my wife he was going to kill himself the first month cuz he would just go full throttle to brake like he did in his truck!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Most folks get on them and instantly love it. Some people get on them when they already fear for their lives and they don't get over that fear and eventualy crash.

Riding ain't rocket science. It's easy if you're confident. If you're scared, look out!

When I was jumping out of planes, the old guys used to say, if you aint scared you should not be jumping. Well I was never scared and never got hurt in 30 jumps. I'd see these wide eyed kids who were always scared tear up their knees and such.

You should have respect for what you are doing but not fear. Fear kills.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM
MRWOODY
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new here,so I wanted to add alittle to this.I'll be sixty in Jan.Never been on a cycle.I know what the person is saying.I had to great instructors.I took the course three times.The 1st time I had some things to work on.One of the instructors said take a couple of weeks off and think about it and if I really wanted to ride ,then come back.I really wanted to ride and to learn the safe and right way to ride.The 2nd time I got better and came back the 3nd time and they said I was 200% better and passed.I'm glad I took it three times and how the instructors pushed and worked with me.I will not go in to town and just ride the back roads and practice,practice in parking lots.I might be wrong here but I ordered a sportster,{not in yet},didn't want some big harley to start out on.I have learned a lot from this form and how ever one helps ever one out.I'm sorry for this long reply.The best to ever one.
Gary K

Quick Reply: Some people just aint ready