General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Women only, boys can watch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Katie
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Women only, boys can watch

hey, hope you are well again soon!

I ride an 05 Deluxe, it is also my first Harley, & I have been riding for 3 years, in BC.
I also think that LOH is a good idea for a lot of lady riders, that are perhaps just starting out or uncomfortable riding with the guys. Choice is always ours to join or not as we please though! I have my dual memberships, (HOG/LOH) but haven't 'used' either one as yet.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Bluerose

I ride an 06 Deluxe, bought it after riding a Yamaha 650 for 7 months. Started riding as a way to get out of the house with hubby some, due to a very hectic work schedule. I joined the local chapter to see what is is like...still forming my opinion...have gone on 1 newbie ride. Is a good place to talk about bikes where you don't get that glazed over look. They have an LOH womens meeting....so far as I can tell its like the prom commitee and they plan all the events...not my cup of tea. I was hoping to get to know some woman riders though.

Going on the Heels on Wheels (ladies only) ride this weekend, alone. Not sure that is my cup of tea either but I thought I would give it at least a shot. Wish my daughter was not working so she could go with me.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but having to do some reading because I haven't worked on anything bigger then an old scooter in the bike dept. (Lots of old cars though). Thankfully, I have a good dealer that talks to me like I know what I'm doing rather then like an idiot (or she is just a girl).

Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Hap_Hazard
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Windfairy

Hey Ladies, I would like to see how many women who ride their own are on this board. I am out of comission due to surgery at this moment and my bike(s) are sitting idle in the garage. Please share your stories, gripes and concerns. My first issue is why does the MO.CO. have LOH...why not MOH. I know it is all about marketing, but I have never, and will never join a organization that uses my gender for their benefit. In the wind....(soon).
Why worry about it. And, I don't see where their using "your" gender for anything.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:04 PM
softie
Intermediate

Ohhhh, you women are teasing me. I want to watch!!!! [sm=drooldude.gif]
I would love for you all to pile up for us guys![sm=smarty.gif]

Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride a 2002 fatboy. Hubby surprised me with 'er for my birthday the same year. The rest is history. Been on numerous trips. Some with hubby, some with my girl friends, couple by myself. Gotta love it!

Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 PM
budderfly61
Intermediate

Wish you a speedy recovery! 2004 bought a buell blast. Great starter bike, had my eye on a pear white 04 XL1200 I figured I better wait and see if this was just a phase I was going through or the real thing. Turned out to be the real thing after the buell blast and a honda shadow. My hubby was at the honda dealership Nov.05 and saw my bike. Took one look and she went home with me.

My gripe would have to be that some HD riders don't give sportsters the respect. I guess they need to catch up on a little history. Friend at work rides a 04 fat boy (male rider) says to me, one day I'll own a real bike. I told him $500 all he said it can't do it. I really don't know what would have happened I guess I would had to put my money where my mouth was. He did shut up though.

Don't belong to any group. Have thought about joining AMA

Old 07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a 2000 Sportster (first bike) that I got new. Also have a 2006 Ninja that I honestly ride more than the Harley (don't tell!). I am hoping to add a 2007 Street Bob to the family in the next few months. Keeping the sporty of course

Old 07-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Windfairy
Novice

Thanks for all the well wishes. Two more weeks and all the rides I have been dreaming about could come true, although not at once. The Blueridge seems to be the ride that I want to do the most. Did it a few years ago after Rolling Thunder, and it was so beautiful. Maybe get the girlies together and do a trip to Disney. And then the reality sets in and the word WORK comes to mind.....bummer. It amazes me how many women start on Sportys, yes an ironhead was my first Harley also. I tell these women if they can ride a Sporty they can ride anything, and low and behold when they get a Dyna or a Softtail even a bagger they say how much easier they are. It is the center of gravity being so much lower that helps with the "bigger" bike. I loved the way my 883 handled, how fast it was off the line, but my Dyna dosn't rattle my teeth on RT. 95 and being 5' tall I can touch the ground when I need to. It dosn't matter what you ride as long as you are in the wind....

Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would really like to see a thread with nothing but pictures of the "Lady's Of HD Forum" bikes.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Gesner
Novice

Glad you are on the mend! I haven't been able to ride the last two weekends, and can't wait for the ride tomorrow. After-work rides aren't long enough for me to get to the mountains which is what really trips my trigger.

I've been riding for 2 years. I was behind my now ex-husband when he wrecked -- again [>:]-- and I had enough of that crap and got my license. I took the course and I started on a Yamaha 1100 V-Star. Everyone kept talking about what a big bike it was but it sat so low and was designed for um, height-challenged riders. It was a great learner and confidence builder. After we divorced this spring I had some cash and I got an '05 Heritage. Just awesome.[sm=coolness.gif] I thought I rode a lot before, but with the softtail I am on it every time that I can be.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Unfortunately I have let it tip over 4 times this summer[sm=smiley19.gif], just while parking, but still that bothers me. I only dropped the V-Star once, in the first week that I had it. I'm glad that I bought a used bike! I have SE pipes with heat shields and I have the replacement heat shields -- the ones on the bike were already damaged, so the scratches that I put on them are not big deal. We'll see how things go. I am hitting the weight room and maybe it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

As for LOH & other women riders, I belong to LOH (no big deal one way or the other, like someone said it's about marketing), and to a local HOG chapter. I'm meeting lots of kewl people there. Some local chapters are better than others. If you have a choice, check them all out before deciding where to hang your hat. I also meet a lot of women riders in my 12-step program -- a LOT of women riders there.

Quick Reply: Women only, boys can watch