General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V+H Big Radius - Tech question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V+H Big Radius - Tech question

If I was to buy and get the dealer to fit the above exhaust to my incoming Fatbob do I need to also fit a fuel pack / Free flow air filter - I am not loooking for more power but more the sound - Dealer is saying I should really fit same

Thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really do need to get a fuel management system to go with those pipes. If they were just slip-ons you would be alright but performance pipes really need some type of fuel pack. I have the PC-III on mine along with stage one air cleaner kit. If you just want sound, get slip-ons. With V&H you will get a little more HP and performance.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Bob - does the extra noise level annoy you on long journeys?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On long trips I will use earplugs, not so much because of the noise from the pipes as from the noise from the wind. Big City Thunder has baffles that give it a lower meatier sound. I am thinking about getting them for my V&H's.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

can they be applied to the standard FATBOB exhaust ? Are they easily installed?
Could save me a fortune in buying the V+H

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

The pipes are the big ticket item, under 200.00 for the rest, so get the rewards of a complete stage 1 for a coupla hundred more

Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

The way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Do a Stage 1 which will require replacing pipes, A/C and adding an ECU piggyback system or a SERT download from HD. This is what you should do.

2. Replace the A/C only which will still require the ECU stuff due to the fact that it will run too lean. I don't know why anyone would do this step only as the exhaust is still restricted.

3. Replace the Exhaust only which really doesn't require any ECU stuff. You'll just get louder exhaust. Since you have not opened the inlet (A/C) there should be no need to richen the mixture. This is what you can get away with if $$ is tight and you're just looking for bite in you pipes.

Keep in mind that if you open the exhaust you may lean out the mixture even more than the stock setup. It may not be much but it will lean it out some I think. It will be pretty obvious if you can't tolerate the lean condition from the blisters on your legs.

You can always add the A/C and the ECU module or SERT if you feel it's running too hot or lean.

Try giving a call to the folks at FuelMoto. I'm sure they can shed some light on this as this is the business they're in.

Last edited by Juve996; 01-18-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
scoobysteve
Cruiser

if you can go the expense get the Thundermax with autotune, it will run great and learn all the time and run the motor cooler. Of all the items I have added to my Fat Bob the Tmax is by far the most important to me, you cant see it but it runs so well and I am very confident that my motor is going to last a lot longer with a constant corected mixture.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

thanks guys

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My opinion is to buy the parts and fit them yourself. It really is quite simple. I dislike the fuelpak, but that is just me. I would get the whole package as opposed to one at a time, but you can do just the pipes without the tuner and air filter. this is kind of like asking what oil is the best. Everyone has a different opinion. My rule of thumb is pipes only, no tuner, pipes and air filter, tuner. We can get you a nice discount on these parts if you are interested as well. PM us.

Quick Reply: V+H Big Radius - Tech question