General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAC Braided leather grips VS PM Renthal contour grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:24 AM
REELROADKING
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAC Braided leather grips VS PM Renthal contour grips

I am personally in a toss up looking to get new grips (my HD grips are peeling) Looking at either the SAC braided leather grips or the PM Renthal contour grips. I am leaning toward the SAC Black/Black Braided grips. I am afraid the renthal grips are going to be soft and wear out quick. Any input is greatly appreciated......

Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to billet grips with no rubber or leather. They are burred and chrome. Easy to grip but don't isolate much vibration. Easier to replace worn out gloves then grips every year. I was going through a set of rubber inlaid grips a year. I must subconsciously work my hands a lot. Also wet leather grips feel slick to me.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 AM
stafford
Road Warrior

How hot do those billet grips get?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Jake Wilson
Former Sponsor

I switched to the Kuryakyn Premium Iso Grips w/the throttle boss, and have never looked back. They're comfortable and have almost no vibration with them.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with the PM grip because they have a small diameter. I had a pair on my Deuce when I got rid of the billet grips. When I got my SG the PM grips were one of the first things I did back in 06. Last year I ended up getting some Roland Sands grips and they were still in great shape.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,676 Likes on 5,238 Posts

I ordered a pair of SAC braided grips, and when I got them I was a little surprised at how fat they were, even compared to the ISO grips I had on at the time. I sent them back without ever installing them.

Instead, I got a pair of Roland Sands grips (chrome) and installed them. They look nice and seem high quality (like all RSD products), but after several years using the ISO grips I couldn't get used to the feel. I've picked up a new pair of ISO grips, and as soon as this rain quits I'll switch them out and put the RSD grips up for sale at a good discount off new.

As far as the rubber on them wearing out: I'm pretty sure you can buy a set of replacement rubber for about $15 (but I don't have a link right now). I guess the lesson (for me) is: When you have something that works for you (in my case the ISO grips), don't mess with it.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I was using the Kury ISO grips for years, but I didn't like the large diameter. I rode a friend's bike one day that had the PM Contour grips and all I can say is...The PM contour grips are AWESOME! I immediately switched to the PMs and have not looked back. They are comfortable, they have a small, bicycle-like diameter and they look damn good to boot!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

Oh, yeah...you can change out the rubber, too! I've seen about 10 different colors. Most places that sell the grips also have replacement rubber. New rubber is $14.95.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there you go... get the renthals....

Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

They don't get hot to me but I always wear gloves when I ride. I had two pair of HD rubber insert grips and wore the rubber off. One of my bikes had the isolation grips from Kury and I did not like them. I actually installed these billet grips on both of my HD's and changed foot rest, shifter pegs and back brake pedal pads to match.
Originally Posted by stafford
How hot do those billet grips get?

Quick Reply: SAC Braided leather grips VS PM Renthal contour grips