General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

closing Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Lancem
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry closing Dealerships

I have been told as of Feb. 1st 2010 the one and only HD Dealer in Rockland county N.Y. will be forced to close their doors because they refuse to bow to the whims of the Mothership HD. They have been a small dealership for more than 25 yrs. and with the times being hard as they are the dealer doesn't want to move to a larger and more expensive location, Build a shop double the size at a cost of millions when they are barely able to make ends meet now. albiet they are small but has a family feel to the place everyone knows and likes everyone else. they sponsor our HOG Chapter but now with Rockland not having a sponsor we will have to disband as a HOG Chapter. I think HD is bullying the wrong people and it will cost them as I will not readily drive 35 miles to by teeshirts, gloves and paraphanelia on a weeknight. Only on special occasions will I even visit a HD dealer now as I don't want to go into the next state to just browse or perhaps to shop for mine and my womens needs. Our chapter is 100 plus strong so multiply that by at least 100! Thanks Harley.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:18 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It is unfortunate that the MoCo forces these really great, small dealerships into the "high cost, boutique" stores they think is best for their image. It creates very high costs and unrealistic expectations and minimizes the owner's profitability.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Ya ain't gonna get any argument out of me. I really do miss the "old" days when all of the "Harley Shops" were smaller, and each one of them was totally different, inside and out. Now days, If you have been into one dealership, you have pretty much seen them ALL. ..........Truth is, the MOCO just isn't very USER friendly any more, wheather it be toward their dealers or their customers.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Will I agree and it was great when the dealer was a family that rode, live and died Harley.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 621 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
Ya ain't gonna get any argument out of me. I really do miss the "old" days when all of the "Harley Shops" were smaller, and each one of them was totally different, inside and out. Now days, If you have been into one dealership, you have pretty much seen them ALL. ..........Truth is, the MOCO just isn't very USER friendly any more, wheather it be toward their dealers or their customers.
I agree. Things have changed. Dealers are impersonal. You might think you have a good dealer, but unless you've dealt with a small shop from years past, you'll just never know.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Yes gentlemen, there have been days when I would give almost anything just to go and "hangout" at the "old hole in the wall", American Cycle H-D Harley Shop that used to be here in Killeen. ................Those were fun times!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

My local dealer was forced out last summer. The two nearest dealers are 90 miles in opposite directions from my house. The old one was 6 miles away. I do have two other dealers that are 130 and 150 miles away. I was thinking of getting a new ride this summer, but now I am not sure. I guess I will be forced to go to one of the Boutiques and pay even higher prices for everything. I have been to the other dealerships and am not impressed with the new image the MOCO is promoting. I think that the MOCO needs to hire people who ride and people who understand what the customers want. It would also help to promote more local dealers not force them out of business. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Drat; 01-20-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

It's a sad, sad situation. I visit many dealerships all over the country and as previously stated they are all pretty much alike. With a few exceptions they have no personality at all. It's almost like walking into a Wal-Mart.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 621 Likes on 386 Posts

The Motor Company might have pushed dealers too far. Right about now I'd imagine there are many mega-sized boutiques hurtin' for business, while facing hefty operating costs, construction loans and property taxes.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss going into dealers and being able to see into the service department, hear the bikes, and smell the oil.

Now all I can smell is H-D coffee (at least that's still free) and all I can hear is people BS'ing about having the dealer "customize" their bike with chrome bolt-ons...

Quick Reply: closing Dealerships