General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Restrictors -- Canadian proposal

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Speed Restrictors -- Canadian proposal

Came across this on a car forum---Canadian Gov't --the people I elected, has Bill C-319 before the legislature ( in forced recess ) has proposed that all vehicles produced after Jan 01/10 be speed restricted to 150Km per hour. or in real terms 90 miles per hour---hopefully this will not pass---just big brother sticking their nose in our business.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heres the actual bill
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...3672781&file=4

of course it wont limit emergency vehicles so certain occupations will be able to abuse there privledges

5) This section applies to vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 2010 that are not fire-fighting vehicles, ambulances, police vehicles or other vehicles that are used for the purpose of emergency or vehicles that belong to a class of vehicles that is exempted from the application of this section by regulation.

in reality all the gotta do is adjusted the ECU it already has the ability to limit maximum speed

Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM
PUBA ONE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Big Brother

I guess that's why he's called "big brother" he was there before us, and stickin' it to us since. Never fear though, we have companies that make aftermarket fuel management devices, so WE can stick it to THEM

Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Big Rol
Road Captain

already done it to me, 96 subaru

Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Chevy has a limiter set for 100 mph on their trucks in the USA!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

I'm sure it'll pass. It seems that government's main function has become to limit freedoms and keep people from having fun. I had always thought that Canada was a little bit more common-sense than some of the U.S. "nanny" states (Kalifornia, where I am, seems to be the worst offender down here), but I guess that's changing.

All that these kinds of bone-brained laws do is encourage circumvention with after-market parts.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by Malibyte
I'm sure it'll pass. It seems that government's main function has become to limit freedoms and keep people from having fun. I had always thought that Canada was a little bit more common-sense than some of the U.S. "nanny" states (Kalifornia, where I am, seems to be the worst offender down here), but I guess that's changing.

All that these kinds of bone-brained laws do is encourage circumvention with after-market parts.
Canada is horrid for the " its for your own good" crap laws

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no desire to ride at 150km+. However, I don't like rules like that as it makes my bike (and me) less safe. If I get into a jam sometime, I may have to exceed 150km to safely extract myself.

If they pass this law, I end up getting a new bike and if the maximum speed is controlled by the ECM then I suspect it would take little more than a trip to a tuner in the US to get it changed.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by RexBuck
I have no desire to ride at 150km+. However, I don't like rules like that as it makes my bike (and me) less safe. If I get into a jam sometime, I may have to exceed 150km to safely extract myself.

If they pass this law, I end up getting a new bike and if the maximum speed is controlled by the ECM then I suspect it would take little more than a trip to a tuner in the US to get it changed.
or anyone with a laptop and the proper patch cable hmmmmmmmmm that could be a lucritive business venture lol

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

They have already started that in Ontario and Quebec for large commercial trucks. All U.S. trucks entering are subject to having a computer plugged into their computer systems and if the engine is not governed at 65 MPH they can be cited and denied entry to the province. I understand that several Canadian trucker organizations have appealed the ruling and it's on hold for the time being. My Company has cut all our trucks back to 65 MPH as we go into Canada often.

Quick Reply: Speed Restrictors -- Canadian proposal